Have you dug a Codd bottle in the US?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Deepbluedigger's post on his stoneware, go me thinking about American city names and their "twins" in England (same place names). Then, I started thinking about Codd bottles. This is something we never dig around this area. I wondered if any of you New England diggers or anyone else has dug one here? If so, I'd like to hear more about it. There had to have been some brought over. I love the English stoneware and bottles. Oddly enough, Codds are not my favorite, but it's a subject of interest to me. Thanks.

tigue710

Reaction score
I've dug a few, one English one and a few American... They were made and used here to, although not as much. I think rhode island has two, Connecticut has 6 or something, I don't remember exactly...

RedGinger

Reaction score
I didn't know they were made here, as well. Thanks, Matt. Do the American ones looke pretty much the same as the English?

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Many years ago I dug 3/4 of one with a Massachusettes name on it. There are American ones, and they look pretty much the same as the English ones, but the ones from this country are all pretty hard to find.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Lauren,

Good question for a snowy night. Look here & thank Tod.

Check here too.

Sitting_Bull_2.jpg

RedGinger

Reaction score
Thanks, Surface. I will look at those posts.

tigue710

Reaction score
Yes, pretty much the same, thinking about I think a lot of the American ones were ordered from England... But the ones I have seen had thiner body's then the norm for English codds...

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Yes, there is one scarce local Codd embossed "E. L. Billings/Sac City" on face and "Geyser Soda" on the reverse. They have the typical pinched neck and marble stopper. Billings blobs are very common and only bring around $10, but the Codd is very scarce. I sold the last one I dug for $185.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75