Help! Need info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

heirloomer

Reaction score
I have a couple of neat old one gallon bottles/jugs. I'll be posting pictures of them at a later date that don't have a company printed on them (really need to get a digital camera!) One does have an embossed name at the very bottom right above the base and it just says "Duraglas" and is spelled just like that. Can anyone tell me about that company? It's definitely after 1900 as the seam goes above the lip. My Granny thinks that vinegar came in them but it reminds me of a moonshine jug with the fingerhole by the top. Like I said I'll have some pics for y'all maybe by tomorrow. Just never heard of Duraglas and neither had my grandma.
Another subject totally off bottles but thought maybe someone would know of a forum where I could get info. My Grandma passed down an OLD, what I call, slide projector. It has a gas lamp that sits in the middle of it and projects the light through glass "microscope" slides and the slides have various pictures on them. My Granny thinks that they had it in their home during 1900-1915. The only lettering that I can find on it is "EP" and that's it. Just wondering of anyone could point me in the right direction or what the thing is really called! Thanks, Heirloomer!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
HEIRLOOMER...what you have is a type of Magic Lantern...Check here:...

http://www.luikerwaal.com/newframe_uk.htm?/merk_ep2_uk.htm

Duraglas was patented by Owens-Illinois Glass Company in the 1940's.

preditor

Reaction score
Grannies probably right it sounds like a vinegar or cider jug. you may be right as well though a lot of home brew makers(for medicinal purposes only of course[;)]) used them too. there pretty common i have several of them myself.
Preditor[8D]

heirloomer

Reaction score
Thank you soooo much, Whiskeyman. The site on the lantern was VERY successful. I've been trying to find out for a long time what it was and how much it was worth. You answered the what it was question. Know the answer to the worth question by chance??? In case you want to know what I have, it's the barrel shaped lantern, 1895. My slide look like the ones that are in the picture of a lantern above this one that's in a case. I appreciate the info on the bottles. I know vinegar or cider may have been what came in them, but I know homemade grape wine is what was kept in them!! Y'all were right, this hobby is addicting! Thanks alot all!
Heirloomer

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen