Help on cleaning ACL's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

co.mushroom

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and would be very grateful for any suggestions on cleaning ACL bottles! I've recently dug some nice bottles,most cleaned up good with soap & water,but others have rust stains,and brown stains,I think came from the red clay I took them out of. Also, is there anything I can do to brighten up the dull or slighty faded colour lables. THANKS, Mushroom

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Darrell, I use Oxi and if that doesn't get it try a baking soda paste. I've had pretty good luck with these with labels that are stable.[:)]

co.mushroom

Reaction score
THANKS Warren. I was just looking thru some older post and found some before & after pics from glopf43, the ones he had turned out great. I'll try your suggestion. I just don't want to destroy a good lable,if it can be saved. Thanks again, Darrell

flasherr

Reaction score
I use bar keepers friend and that normally works. if its a dug bottle let it sit out in sun for several days maybe longer to let paint harden more. go to the link below and you will see some post about it over the past year
Brian

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/searchpro.asp?phrase=bar+keepers&forumid=ALL&topicreply=both&message=body&author=&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=-365&language=single&top=50&criteria=AND&minRank=10&submitbutton=+OK+

Ay73504.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73504.jpg
    Ay73504.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 77

co.mushroom

Reaction score
THANKS, BRIAN !! That BAR KEEPERS FRIEND Really works great.The baking soda worked pretty good, but this stuff is better than I ever hoped for! It may not work on all stains,but it sure got rid of mine. I have an old 1qt. Dixie Party,Ginger Ale,orange on white ACL.It's been on my shelf dirty,and looking bad,for 10 years. After trying Bar Keepers Friend on another bottle,I pulled this one down,soaked it in some room temp. water,sprinkled on some BKF,rubbed it with my fingers,and rinsed. All the dirt and crud was gone,and the paint underneath looks like new.I'll try and post some pics. when I've finished cleaning. Very Greatful, Darrell

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973