A couple questions on bottle cleaning and repair.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Okey dokey, so, I've a few questions. +Firstly, I was suggested sand-blasting as a method to clean bottles with large mouths. But, I counter-argued (As it turned into a good-natured debate) that--okay, my turtle is being noisy again-- sand-blasting would remove too much of the surface, would pit it, break through any weaknesses, and wouldn't do an even job. But she argued that it's how many things are polished and cleaned, even fragile things. That it'd work without causing severe damage, and would clean totally the bottle. My question is, if a standard professional cleaning is out of the question, then could a light sand blasting work?+Another question: I just last night found a "FURST-McNESS Co. FREEPORT, ILL." bottle that is severely cracked and no longer holds water (Frankly, I'm surprised it survived the cleaning I gave it. It was so thick and sticky of mud it was hard to get out, and so I had to be some hard on it). You'd laugh at the story behind how I found it. As my girlfriend said, 'Only you'd be happy to fall down a hill.' My question is, what can I do to preserve it and others like it in my collection-- as in, how do I fix the cracks, especially when algae is in them and I cannot get it out, and the cracks go through the bottle. Even worse is my third 1905-1914 straight-side Coca-Cola bottle from last year... Trust me, acid baths aren't good for bottle cleaning. Yes, I used acid. I know you're not supposed to, but it was already damaged and I was curious and it needed to be cleaned. Didn't do anything. Except crack it more. The glass is still 'sick'. That was a joy... and two ketchup bottles I was experimenting with acid cleaning exploded... Lovely time.+[attachment=Questions 001.JPG] [attachment=Questions 002.JPG] [attachment=Questions 003.JPG] Another thing: A few weeks ago I found a lovely green jar, about an inch tall. I wanted to clean it out, as its contents are sealed in it still; but no matter how hard I try, the cap is rusted on so well it's as welded to it. I don't want to break the cap, but I want to clean it out. My question is: How do I get the tightest cap I've ever tried to open off the bottle without breaking an already slightly damaged cap and without breaking the glass? What can I use? I want to put it back on when done. +Okay, so more than a few questions... For sick glass--you know, not mineralized per se but foggy nonetheless-- how, without bottle tumbling (No one's available who can do it right near here and sending it away is out of the question in terms of price currently,) can I fix that problem? I want it to shine and look clean, not be dull and block light.+My favorite bottle is damaged at the base, and I know that, if I sent it out one day to be tumbled, it'd likely shatter as the medium would pack in and blow it up. So, I'm wondering how would I have it cleaned, or clean it myself, without breaking it? The staining isn't bad, I just want it out. +One more thing for now: ACL bottles... My '48 Squirt is a beauty, save for the heavy staining inside of it. If one day I looked to have it cleaned, what would I do? Wouldn't tumbling destroy the labels? Don't suggest acid, please.
+The pics in it show the staining, cracks (The one bottle was used as target-practice a century ago it seems) and the cap. Any help?

Attachments

• f04221d2d2944dd19808ddeb52a9eece.jpg
    f04221d2d2944dd19808ddeb52a9eece.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 121
  • e602b06890bc48029bc64a37ed61ba1d.jpg
    e602b06890bc48029bc64a37ed61ba1d.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 127
  • d0dd26a6c1d74082a9fa9fbb977554a6.jpg
    d0dd26a6c1d74082a9fa9fbb977554a6.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 128

chosi

Reaction score
Sand blasting - that's crazy talk. Have you tried cleaning with Barkeepers Friend?It won't make sick glass clear, but it will remove most foriegn substances. Use a toothbrush for the outside of the bottle. Ideally you should use small copper bits for the inside, mixed with water & barkeepers friend, and shake it till your arms are too tired to continue. If you don't have bits of copper, you can use dried rice, or kitty litter. As for removing the lid off your jar, I don't know the answer, but I would guess that if you used some oil and let it soak in for a while, it might loosen the lid.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Where does one find Barkeeper's friend? I've never heard of it. Also, will the items and liquid really do the same as a professional tumbling? Forgive my skepticism, it's just that Squirt bottle is heavily stained... Thank you for the tips, though.

chosi

Reaction score
Hardware stores should have Barkeepers friend. It's similar to cleanser, but it is intended to clean glass, so it won't scratch the glass. It comes in a powder form as well as a pasty liquid form. You can sometimes use it on an applied-color-label bottle, but you have to test a portion first to make sure the paint holds fast. I've used it to clean about 7 or 8 of these bottles, and I was able to scrub at all but one of them without any paint coming off. But barkeepers friend will not do as well as a tumbler. I don't know of anything that will.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Zud is similar to Barekeepers Friend. They both contain Oxalic Acid. LEON.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Now, how to seal cracks so it doesn't burst apart? You see the bottles up there. One was shot with a B-B, the other I'm thinking water freezing and expanding, cracking the bottle in one of our lovely Winters here.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Best glue to use to rebuild a bottle? It's nothing special. I just have all the pieces (Fell from a shelf) and I like puzzles.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen