hiawatha stomach bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bashcraft

Reaction score
I am not a bottle collector, I collect fossils and arrowheads, but I do keep my eyes open for old things. I bought a bottle at an auction last week embossed with "Hiawatha Stomach Bitters". It is amber, square, and around 9.5" tall. According to a website I visited which gave info on dating, it appears to be lat 1800's manufacture. It has a general appearance of many of the bitters bottles that are listed on the internet, but I can't reference the name. I am from southern Missouri, and the bottle was made by the Illinois Glass Company. I can find some reference to other "medicinals" labeled with Hiawatha, made in St. Louis. Can anybody add any further info?

Thanks,

Brent Ashcraft
"The Noob"

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
We are here because antique bottles is our catalyst, but many of us enjoy talking about all sorts of other stuff as well.. including fossils and arrowheads. We'd love to see pics of the Hiawatha bottle ..and whatever else you'd be agreeable to sharing with us.. !

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Brent and welcome to the forum !
Your bottle is listed as Extremely rare .
And the I.G. CO. embossed on the base stands for Ihmsen Glass Co , Pittsburgh PA 1870 to 1898 .
It is listed as 8 7/8" tall and 2 1/2" square at the base. It's a keeper , and a good Bitters square .
Would love to see a pic.
Not much info ...... but hope it helps.

bashcraft

Reaction score
Wow, I have never owned anything "rare". Attached are the photos you requested (I hope).

D67500A6B02345CE8E0A439004B6CFB4.jpg

Attachments

• D67500A6B02345CE8E0A439004B6CFB4.jpg
    D67500A6B02345CE8E0A439004B6CFB4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 48

bashcraft

Reaction score
I apologize for the pic size, I chopped it down, but still seems a litle large. Attached is a photo of the base.

866FF026165B4E5CA62BCEC85666575A.jpg

Attachments

• 866FF026165B4E5CA62BCEC85666575A.jpg
    866FF026165B4E5CA62BCEC85666575A.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 51

bashcraft

Reaction score
I frequent another forum on fossils, and I know that speaking aout value is a bit crass, but I know absoutely nothing about any of this. My question on this bottle is, can I display it, and if it gets knocked over and broken should I slit my wrists?

Any comments and opinions are appreciated.

Brent Ashcraft

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
My question on this bottle is, can I display it, and if it gets knocked over and broken should I slit my wrists?
I wouldn't recommend either. It's a sweet bottle and if your inclined to do something like that get rid of it right away. In it's present state of stain I'd guess $400 maybe but I'm not an appraiser and that's not an appraisal. A professional cleaning might maybe double that but there is a risk.
I'd start a new hobby and add it to your artifact room. Glue it down if you need to (water soluble for now). Keep the cat's, dogs and kids away!
PS: did I say welcome? Welcome!

bashcraft

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, the internet is such a powerful tool, even when used inexpertly. I hated to equate "rare" to "valuable". My wife tells me that I am one of a kind, making me quite rare. From time to time she also tells me that I am worthless, making me quite un-valuable.

The exterior staining is quite soft, probably organic. A good alcohol bath should clean it up. The interior is a little more problematic. I soaked it in muriatic acid (I was a chemist is a previous life), and the black coating wasn't bubbling. I will have to get a soft bottle brush tomorrow and see if that helps.

As I stated earlier, I don't collect bottles. But I have picked up a number of them in my ramblings (I can never turn down a good garbage dump). I'll read through the site, and post any that may be pertinent.

Brent Ashcraft

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Brent , If you want to clean it for display .... there are several members that tumble bottles on here , that would tumble it for you I'm sure.
If you were going to sell it .... I would recommend a light tumble for max $$$ . But , if you are keeping it ... It will display nicely as it is.
I wouldn't recommend cleaning any bottle with Muratic acid.
Thanks for sharing ! Great find !

bashcraft

Reaction score
I have to ask, what is wrong with using muriatic acid? Is it a safety issue? It shouldn't harm the bottle should it? I spent 15 years dissolving everything from copper scrap to hazardous waste, so I am not the typical chemical handler. I did note in the bottle cleaning section that some people where using sodium hydroxide to aid in cleaning their bottles. Sodium hydroxide is one of the few chemicals that will dissolve glass, albeit very slowly. I suspect that it will also make the glass more brittle. The other chemical that will dissolve glass is actually a weak acid-hydrofluoric acid. This is an extrremly dangerous chemical that a novice should never handle.

Brent Ashcraft

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583