HIRES ROOT BEER ~ vs ~ VERNOR'S GINGER ALE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
I wonder where the Southern Oregon Historical Society got the following information and why they mention a dried root beer extract in connection with a Tufts' Arctic Soda Fountain but don't mention Hires Root Beer?

http://sohs.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/00124FC8-180C-428E-8AA7-821436313590

In 1876, a Centennial Exhibition was held in Philadelphia, celebrating the birth of the republic and 100 years of progress. On exhibit were numerous gadgets, inventions, and widgets. Included was a prototype slice of the cable that was used to secure the Brooklyn Bridge, the first typewriter, an early telephone that frightened visitors by “talking”, and the Corliss Steam Engine, huffing and puffing and larger than a house. Newspapers were printed on site, machines were sewing, wallpaper was printed and logs were sawed. In the midst of all this stood a Tufts Artic Soda Fountain. In 1876, James W. Tufts and Charles Lippincott paid $50,000 for exclusive rights to sell soda water beverages and ice cream sodas. They displayed a 30-foot tall fountain with elaborate spigots, hanging ferns, a chandelier, and it even sprayed perfume in the air. For $.25 one could purchase a packet of dried herbs to take home and create root beer, an early instant beverage.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Bob that makes sense to me that they just supplied the soda fountains, they (the vendor's) probably dispensed every soda imaginable at that time, Hires just dispensed free samples right?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

We posted at almost the same time - my time was 6:49 PM PT and your time was 6:51 PT. What's the deal with you and the number 51?

Anyhoo, check out my 6:49 Post. It might relate to your question.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I wonder where the Southern Oregon Historical Society got the following information and why they mention a dried root beer extract in connection with a Tufts' Arctic Soda Fountain but don't mention Hires Root Beer?

http://sohs.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/00124FC8-180C-428E-8AA7-821436313590

In 1876, a Centennial Exhibition was held in Philadelphia, celebrating the birth of the republic and 100 years of progress. On exhibit were numerous gadgets, inventions, and widgets. Included was a prototype slice of the cable that was used to secure the Brooklyn Bridge, the first typewriter, an early telephone that frightened visitors by “talking”, and the Corliss Steam Engine, huffing and puffing and larger than a house. Newspapers were printed on site, machines were sewing, wallpaper was printed and logs were sawed. In the midst of all this stood a Tufts Artic Soda Fountain. In 1876, James W. Tufts and Charles Lippincott paid $50,000 for exclusive rights to sell soda water beverages and ice cream sodas. They displayed a 30-foot tall fountain with elaborate spigots, hanging ferns, a chandelier, and it even sprayed perfume in the air. For $.25 one could purchase a packet of dried herbs to take home and create root beer, an early instant beverage.

I wonder if they're talking about one of these?

Hires 1877 Bucks County Gazette Bristol, Pa. June 14, 1877 (1).jpg

Hires 1885 Diary Package.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
The plot thickens ...

Star Wars Yoda (3).jpg

February 5, 1876

Hires 1876 Reading Times Oenn. Feb 5, 1876 (4).jpg

Meet ...

Samuel H. Warwick

Philadelphia Inquirer ~ January 21, 1901

Hires Samuel H Warwick Philadelphia Inquirer January 21, 1901 (2).jpg

Hires Samuel H Warwick Philadelphia Inquirer January 21, 1901 (3).jpg

Hires Samuel H Warwick Philadelphia Inquirer January 21, 1901 (4).jpg

Hires Samuel H Warwick Philadelphia Inquirer January 21, 1901.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
The Times ~ Philadelphia, Pa. ~ June 14, 1882

Warwick's Root Beer The Time Philadelphia June 14, 1882.jpg

(To be continued)

Canadacan

Reaction score
Interesting!...well the paper never did say exactly who it was that was going to erect that fountain, but it makes sense that it must have been him because Hires certainly did not have the capital to do so.
I think the only roll that Hires played at the 1876 fair was that he managed to get in there and distribute his samples for free.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

I mailed your book today. The postage to Canada was three times the usual amount, but I'm okay with that. What surprised me the most was the four customs forms I had to complete. I never mailed anything to Canada before and it was an interesting experience. I don't know how long it will take but suspect about ten days. Please let us know when it arrives.

I'm still researching Samuel Warwick and hope to find out more about him soon. The earliest reference I've seen for him and his root beer so far is 1873. We may never know if he's the one referred to in the newspaper article, but it appears he certainly could have afforded it. As for Charles Hires, everything I've read about him seems to indicate he probably needed some financial help in order pull-off whatever his role might have been at the 1876 Centennial. The weirdest part is, I still can't find a proof-positive reference that he was even at the Centennial. I find it hard to believe if he was there that he didn't advertise it early on.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Date unknown but described as "Flat Ring Cork Lip" and "Hand Blown"

Warwick's Root Beer Extract Bottle.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've had similar things happen, gave a shipping price assuming it's going to U.S.A only to find out Canada or New Zealand, ect. LEON.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen