HIRES ROOT BEER ~ vs ~ VERNOR'S GINGER ALE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Picture of the Hires 1897 Crown Hires1897AdCloseup - Copy.jpg Top bottle. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Keith

Welcome aboard!

Nice to hear from you. As you know, I'm a digger whose just looking for answers to what I consider somewhat confusing questions and claims. Maybe this time around we'll find some solid answers.

Regarding Hires Root Beer advertising between 1876 and 1880, it starts out slow at first, but by 1880 there are literally hundreds of them. Including this one from ...

The Valley Republican ~ Kinsley, Kansas ~ July 3, 1880

Hires 1880 The Valley Republican Kinsley, Kansas July 3, 1880.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'm still searching for the original Hires Trademark documents, but will go with these for the time being ...

Word Mark HIRES ROOT BEER AND ROOT-BEER EXTRACT [ AND THE DRY INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING ROOT BEER ]. FIRST USE: 1877 . FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1877 Filing Date November 4, 1905 Registration Date June 26, 1906 Owner (REGISTRANT) CHARLES E. HIRES COMPANY, THE CORPORATION PENNSYLVANIA 210, 212 AND 214 NORTH BROAD STREET PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA (LAST LISTED OWNER) CRUSH INTERNATIONAL INC. CORPORATION ASSIGNEE OF OHIO ONE PROCTOR & GAMBLE PLAZA CINCINNATI OHIO 45202

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Word Mark HIRES ROOTBEER. Root Beer. FIRST USE: 1878 . FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1878 Filing Date April 12, 1893 Registration Date January 16, 1894 Owner (REGISTRANT) Charles E. Hires Company, The CORPORATION PENNSYLVANIA Philadelphia PENNSYLVANIA (LAST LISTED OWNER) CADBURY BEVERAGES B.V. COMPANY NETHERLANDS 17TH FLOOR, WORLD TRADE CENTER, TOWER B STRAWINSKYLAAN 1725 1077 XX AMSTERDAM NETHERLANDS

SODABOB

Reaction score
Important Note ...

If I disappear unexpectedly, it means my computer crashed again and not that I'm ignoring anything. My computer is already acting weird and might crash again any second. If that happens, I'll be back as soon as I can.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'll say one thing about ol' Charles Hires, he definitely had a knack for advertising! Check out this half-page ad from ...

The Philadelphia Inquirer ~ June 25, 1892

Hires 1892 Philadelphia Inquirer June 25, 1892.jpg

Footnote:

I'm taking a break for the rest of the day before my computer crashes again. See y'all tomorrow (if possible) ?

Eric

Reaction score
Hires is hard to find it was sold here in Missouri in cans a couple years ago.. was a little pricey but was a great tasting root beer... Sadly the store no longer carries it.
It's still being sold in cans... you can find it online... but again a little pricey.
There's a lot of great Hires advertising out there... I have some nice pieces and even a Hires embossed floor cooler in line for restoration. love this stuff.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hires is hard to find it was sold here in Missouri in cans a couple years ago.. was a little pricey but was a great tasting root beer... Sadly the store no longer carries it.
It's still being sold in cans... you can find it online... but again a little pricey.
There's a lot of great Hires advertising out there... I have some nice pieces and even a Hires embossed floor cooler in line for restoration. love this stuff.
Interestingly enough a place on Vancouver Island BC, Canada, caries it .....the store is in Ladysmith and is called 49th Parallel Grocery...it a very small chain 3-4 stores, Not sure what the arrangement is but one of their distributors bring it in for them along with about a half dozen other USA only soda's.
I have family there and am headed over soon for a visit...I'll have to make a stop and see if they have some!

iggyworf

Reaction score

I don't recall seeing it around here in the Detroit metro area. I will have to keep an eye out for it.

I also just got a early 1920's? PL hires bottle from a antique store out by my girlfriends cottage over the weekend anticipating SodaBob's new thread here. I will post some pics ASAP.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hires is not available in every store like it once was, but the bottom line is ...

Its still being produced!

The guy on this link really did his homework ...

http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/2011/08/22/killing-a-product-why-you-cant-find-hires-root-beer/

Among other things, he had this to say ...

[FONT=&amp]"Cadbury Schweppes started the decline of Hires as a brand as they decided to concentrate their soda marketing efforts on more popular sodas. In 2008 Cadbury Schweppes spun off the soft drink division into the current Dr. Pepper Snapple Group. Cadbury Schweppes and its successor entity Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, decision was to promote their own A&W Root Beer brand and phase out Hires. Slowly."

Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG)

http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/

Order Online from Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hires-Ro...0463&wl11=online&wl12=196579658&wl13=&veh=sem

[/FONT]
Its not cheap, but it can also be ordered Online from ...

1. Sodafinder
2. Amazon
3. eBay
4. Etc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member