Historical Flask Lip Finish Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bttlmark

Reaction score
I got this bottle I won on eBay today and at first I thought it had a ground lip. I looked at a scroll flask I own and it has a small spot on its lip that is very similair.
So,does anybody know if these had the lips ground down this much during manufacture?
The bottle has light high point wear and some scratches and does not feel or appear to have been tumbled.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I want to keep this flask,if it's originally manufactured in this manner.

A6B68FDA0C004EDD9963E0ACFDCE8E08.jpg

Attachments

• A6B68FDA0C004EDD9963E0ACFDCE8E08.jpg
    A6B68FDA0C004EDD9963E0ACFDCE8E08.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 86

epackage

Reaction score
Sure looks like it was ground and polished, coulda been done a long time ago or recently, hard to tell. I'm sure Jeff or someone in the know will have an educated opinion...Jim

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
originally it would have been sheared. It looks like a chip could have been ground out and polished.
Tough to tell from a photo. Sheared lips were often uneven.
Sometimes you can tell with a microscope if the bottle has not been tumbled and doesnt have surface errosion.
A polished surface will have a different texture than the original glass.

bttlmark

Reaction score
I don't think it has ever been tumbled.
There is much high point wear and little scratches.
And the surface is not slick and overly shiney.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
if thats the case you should be able to compare the glass texture of the dip area with the rest of the lip using a microscope or good magnifying glass.
Check the inside edge of the dip too as that would be the hardest area to polish well.

tigue710

Reaction score
the flask would not have had a ground lip Mark, it would of been sheared. Usually the shears left marks like this when the bottle was cut from the blow pipe except you see it on both sides of the lip. Just being on one side looks suspicious me. You want to look at it with a loop and see if the small striations and surface lines from the part of the lip that isnt questionable go through the dip... You will see a difference in the surface of the glass if it is polished... It could be perfectly fine, or it could be polished...

bttlmark

Reaction score
I wonder if it is possible for a small spot like this to be polished without doing the entire bottle?
By a glass company or something.

And I know it was not ground during the manufacture process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85