historical flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Most Metropolitan Museum of Art reproductions have MMA etched on the base.
Clevenger reproduced this flask, but the example I have has a smooth base....no pontil. It is possibly an earlier Clevenger piece, as those did often have a pontil. Examples I have have a smaller pontil than the one shown above. I saw a flask similar to this sell on eBay for a couple/several (???) hundred dollars. It was described as a poison flask.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Welcome back Charlie !
Haven't seen you in awhile . I have been checking out your website from time to time . Looks great and with some great info.
Brian

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
dont clevenger's have a CB embossed somewhere on them? i think they are supposed to and the clevenger brothers repro's of this one i have seen are all a sapphire blue color but i dont know alot about repro's of any kind except i can spot the machine made ones.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome BRIAN....good ta seeya. Thanks for the compliments about my site too...It's partially ta blame for my extended absence...

BOTTLENUTBOY: In the beginning, Clevenger didn't mark their early wares...Later they used a paper label. I think it was in the 80's they additionally began putting a CB somewhere on the bottle, usually on the base, but some Booze cabins have it on the front side. (seems people were removing the labels and selling them as authentic ).

Has your flask got any noticeable base wear or any other indications it was used...like inner water stains, small scuffs or scratches ?? Sometimes one has to hold the item in question in his hand to and eyeball it closely in order to make a better judgement. Pictures aren't always helpful in these circumstances..

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Cap, you're right!!! The last time we saw Charlie he was talking about "applied lips, nice bottoms, good color, well formed necks, super front panels, ladies legs etc" and he was posing on his Harley with a group of cheerleaders in bikinis!!![:eek:]

Talk about riding off into the sunset...[8D]

Nice to see you back Whiskeyman!

Wayne

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Hey DENNIS, WARREN & WAYNE...Thanks for the welcoming party. Heheh...Good to "see" you guys too. As for the biker chicks, they dumped me off in Texas after confiscating all my $$$. Took me this long ta get back home and "wow", was the wife peeved !!! ( Imagine that).
She's letting me live in the storage shed presently and feeds me along with the dogs. Them l'il rascals will nip ya when ya try to eat,too. I have ta snatch a bite and run over to another corner of the yard to chew it.
But it's all not bad news: I just have to stay out here a couple more months , then the wife's gonna let me move to the back porch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4