Hitting the right spot!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

YoungDiggerAlex

Reaction score
Ive been digging an old farm dump from around 1870 or so. I am now starting to find alot of zinc mason jar lids, old green milk bottles and some cork tops. But after digging for a while I am starting to hit nothing!! Should I keep digging deeper, or try a different spot?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If the dump actually goes back to the 1870s stuff could be found pretty deep.
But if you are hitting undisturbed soil with no debris in it there probably isnt reason to dig deeper. Use a probe to feel for deeper glass.

YoungDiggerAlex

Reaction score
Thanks for responding!! I am new to digging, but the only thing that confuses me is the dump is very large... so I am not sure to go to a different spot or stay. The farm has stayed in the same family since it was built so I know there has to be some good stuff SOMEWHERE!![:)]

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey Alex, Can you post a picture of the green milk bottles? If is the round embossed style they go for big, big money. It is in the HUNDREDS!! I have one somewhere but I will have to search for it. I will post a picture later.

YoungDiggerAlex

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 3 that I found whole. The one on the left only has a marking on the bottom of a triangle, the one in the middle says W&CO and the one on the right only has a marking of a triangle on the bottom. Do you have any idea on a date? I am getting discouraged quickly[:mad:] Also I cannot seem to get the film off of the bottles? Any help would be awesome!!

Qo39894.jpg

KentOhio

Reaction score
Hi Alex,
Those aren't milk bottles, they're called "wax sealer" fruit jars. They took a tin cap and then to seal it, you'd pour wax in the groove. The film comes from being buried, and pretty much the only way to get it off is to have them tumbled in a cleaning machine.
If you got to http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html
you'll see that W&CO stands for Thomas Wightman & Company, Pittsburgh, PA (c.1874-1895+). That's the glass factory where it was blown. Save the link; it'll come in handy.
I live in Kent, about 45 minutes away from Alliance. If you want me to come help dig I probably can.
If you can, try to make it to the Ohio Bottle Club meeting. It's 7:00PM Thursday the 30th, in Wadsworth.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey KentOhio, I've been to the bottle club meeting a few times with my grandpa. (He is a member.) Were you at the Ohio bottle Show in Mansfield? Maybe we can get together and dig sometime. I live in Ashland. I've found 1 privy, maybe two but I'm thinking it could be a well that was filled in. The house (not there anymore) dates to 1840-1850. I would like to dig them but I have no idea where to start.

KentOhio

Reaction score
Hi Bryan,
Yeah, I go to Mansfield just about every year. It takes me 2 hours to get there. have you been to it? I don't think I've ever been through Ashland, but it looks like it would be about 1 1/2 hours from me. It looks like Medina is an equal distance from us, and I know it's full of old houses. Want to try there? Which days of the week can you dig?

YoungDiggerAlex

Reaction score
Hi KentOhio, I would really enjoy it if you could come dig the dump. It is rather large and I am having a hard time finding the old stuff there.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazewudb3nice!