hope someone has answers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, i have questions i can't find answers for in books. when the seams stop in diff areas of neck how do you date the bottle? i would like to know if there is a certain time period that vent bumps where used on bottles. it seems sometime that where the seem stops on the bottle, according to the books use for dating, dosn't match what i find is the age of the bottle. enought questions for now, appreciate the help. rhona

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
I believer the higher the seam, the newer the bottle. Most whittle marks (AKA vent bumps) are mostly found on BIM bottles, but I do have some early ABM's that have them. I must admitt with the last one. It never matches. From my experience, this is what I think it is:

1/2 way up neck- 1870-1880

3/4 up neck: 1890-1900

RIGHT below neck: 1900-10

over lip: 1905- present

Don't quite know if that's correct either, that's just what I've always thought.[;)]

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
LOL! I understand lots of people here don't like his book. Hey, it's got nice pics in it though!![:D]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Rhona, if you drop down a few of topics to the Historic Glass Bottle and Identification forum area you'll find a wonderful web site created by our new member Bill. In addition to drawn illustrations, there's identifying photos and sooooooo much more![;)]

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, thinks for the info. i have visited the site norm. havn't had time to go thru all of it. not real good at going thru his site, too much info. to remember at one time. still learning. the chart lobbycat looks a little diff. then what is in my book. i guess they are all a little diff. thanks rhona

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazewudb3nice!