HotDog roller???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
I was told by someone years ago that the frosting you see on a dug bottle is actually the silica sand, from where the mineral deposits in the ground over many years bleached out the other ingredients of the glass, and that, that is why when you get the bottle wet, you hardly see the frosting. Sounded like good logic at the time ! I know, there I go getting Punchy again.............................

Tony14

Reaction score
salt water or fresh water? what kind of fish do you have? i never thought of putting it in an aquarium, i bet it would look good in one!
Hey spence its a freshwater tank. I have mostly gourami in there with a couple of other straglers (red-tailed black shark thats been alive for 8 years now!)
Usually when i put a bottle in it does look a lot clearer. Right now i have a quart ball jar and an amber flask down there. Ill probably pull the flask and drop that in.
Lou- I like your idea! The only thing is Im only gonna have one roundbottom for now. If i get more in the future ill probably build one!

stinger haut

Reaction score
Spencer,
Is this the bottle you cut with sand and some cutting oxide?
It sounds like you need to recut the bottle with a finer cutting oxide.
Example, I just used a 600 grit cutting oxide to remove some very heavy etching on the inside of a bottle.
Now I am going to cut using 1,000 grit cutter for about 24 hours and then go to 1,200 grit cutter for another 30 hours.
The bottle's glass will fairly smooth by the time the 1,200 is done.
Then go to polish.
I have never used sand as tumbling medium, so I don't know what the effect is when you use it.
Remember, cutting oxides are harder then the glass, so they will remove very small amounts of the glass. Polish is softer than glass.
That is a very interesting machine you made. Unconventional, but if it works, use it.
Stinger

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
Is this the bottle you cut with sand and some cutting oxide?

nah, i didnt use any sand on this one, i tried it on a different bottle and it didnt do anything at all.

this one i used 400 silicon carbide for about 24 hours, and then switched to a 0.5 micron aluminum oxide polish for about 48hours and it cleaned it, but still retains some frosting

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
here's the side by side i promised you tony... can you guess which one i turned?

91ED6CFF8D3B44A183AB9845ED285B0B.jpg

Attachments

• 91ED6CFF8D3B44A183AB9845ED285B0B.jpg
    91ED6CFF8D3B44A183AB9845ED285B0B.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 60

stinger haut

Reaction score
Spencer, cut it with 1,000 grit cutter for 48 hours.
Polishing won't get it back to a smooth clear finish.
Stinger
p.s what type of skateboard did you use?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH