How should I approach this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

creeper71

Reaction score
I have never dug a privy however I have read some about doing it..with that being said a privy from my understanding is usually no more then 100-200 feet from the house usually to the side somewhere that when the wind picked up it wouldn't blow the poop fumes into the house

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I smell some awesome digs coming. [:)] Make sure you take your camera and document all of it please.

PD

epackage

Reaction score
Willow branch devining rod, I kid you not...

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Close enough to the home as to accommodate an emergency, far enough away as not to offend......although I've found them in the front yard with the house down wind....Good luck! Keep us posted.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Double LOL, Rick!

Oak Branch Dowsing...

250px-Otto_Edler_von_Graeve_4786745367_04b089ec26_b.jpg

KBbottles

Reaction score
If it was a confederate general's headquarters, wouldn't the privy already be excavated by archaeologists or be protected by the state and/or a historical society preventing anyone else from doing so besides the "professionals"? Just curious. If it was such a house where such an important historical figure lived, I would feel a little guilty digging it, in my opinion.

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
Well, it's a private residence, so I don't think has been excavated before. But that's my concern, with it being so old and historically signifacnt in some ways (and so vast). I will keep you guys posted on this as often as possible. I'm trying to establish time period where I'll be at the property, probably sometime next week or before the ground becomes frozen. I'm so excited! This will be my first privy dig ever! And what better way to start your digging career with a 1813 property.

Pics will be coming soon...I garauntee that! I just don't know when [&:]

pigeonman

Reaction score
I'm in augusta co.va. if you need a hand let me know. did pits in nj but never in va. sounds like a great time![:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH