I found an interesting pot lid in Tobago

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sharrer

Reaction score
Hi Pot-lid community: I'm totally new in your forum and actually not a collector of pot lids at all - last week I went on a trip to Tobago (Trinidad/Tobago, Caribbean, close to Venezuela) and found what I thought was an interesting circle-shaped "stone" on one of the most secluded beaches I've ever been to: I could clearly see a seal/medal-type of thing on the one side and felt kind of excited about it because it looked damn old. I took that thing with me and now being back home I just googled what I could read on the front side: among other stuff and many ornaments and some adress parts "John Gosnell" and "Bears Grease" - turns out that I obviously found a pot lid!! After doing a lot of web research I actually FOUND a picture of the one I found in Tobago in the personal collection index of Jules Gosnell (a family descendant):
http://gosnell.org.uk/JohnGosnell/index.html

and it's the first one displayed in the section "Bears Grease" (Otto of Rose Bear's Grease - [Dale B5] 1860-1865 ). It's certainly in much worse condition (I don't know how long it was sitting there on the beach that has probably one visitor per year...) than the one displayed on Jule Gosnell's webpage but it's definitely it and it looks quite nice actually!

Now my question is: is that thing worth anything?? Anyone interested?? Please let me know - since I'm a total pot lid rookie it would be nice if you don't make fun of me...

Here is my email adress again: sharrer@mit.edu

thanks a lot for your interesting and fast answers,

Stefan

capsoda

Reaction score
Hello Stefan, Welcome to the forum. Very nice find. Bears Grease pot-lids are always welcome and valuable finds.

Post a pic if you can.[:)]

cadburys

Reaction score
gosnell lid

hi,

Looks like you've found a nice one there. I've not seen it before.
Let's see some piccies then!

cadburys

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Stefan,
You have found quite a rare pot lid and depending on condition could be worth a considerable amount. If you can post a photo it will certainly give you a better chance of a possible value.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen