Im new to this, I found these bottles on my first dig please help!!!! What is are they!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Ljhowell; The first thing to look at is the CT finish (the Continuous Thread on the finish which will also have a ring type transfer ring all the way around under the top finish. If there are two mold seams over those threads, you might as well set the bottle aside for the next digger. It is too new to have value, unless it is unique for design or some special interest reasoning. RED Matthews

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: druggistnut

What tools---
Everyone eventually settles on a few items they prefer, but, to get you started...
Since MOST stores do not sell American made implements any longer, buy used ones at yard sales or try www.gemplers.com I get many of my American or Swiss made tools there. The far-east junk will not hold up.
A word about Gempler's. They have LISTENED to my input on the phone and have added some items tailored to bottle diggers to their catalog.
A long handled AND a short-handled round spade. I prefer the long-handled one to be sharp, the short one, dull. You NEVER put your weight on the shovel when you are getting in to bottles. You EASE the blade downwards, wiggling it as you go. The shorter one is used to do a lot of sideways works--kind of like sweeping as you go.
A long-handled potato rake. I prefer the four tine version, some prefer a three tine cultivator.
A hand-held metal scratcher. I make mine out of longer ones. I cut down the handle, cut off the two outer times and have a two tine hand scratcher.
A plastic scratcher. This is essential when hitting a pocket of older, fragile glass OR porcelain signs. You don't want to damage them.
A GOOD folding saw
quality root nippers and loppers
I bring a battery operated sawz-all for metal and roots (if I get tired of sawing).
A come-along, stout rope and a pair of modified vice-grips (big pair)--I use this setup to clamp on to stubborn metal and slowly weasle it out. Saves a lot of back-ache.
A good head lamp and hard hat to put it on.
A 1st Aid kit w/ an epi-pen.
An eye wash bottle (just have a bottle of water that no one drinks).
bug spray
knee pads (I went through half a dozen brands until I modified my own)
leather gloves (must have)
hard soled leather boots (must have)
a roll of TP (MUST have)
newspapers for bottle wrapping
Clothes to change in to or a good pair of coveralls
a small transistor radio, for weather alerts and your local ball game
I also have in my truck the following-
A large ice spud type bar
a grain bucket and length of knotted rope
a pick axe
folded flat liquor boxes/separators and a roll of tape. Safest way to move good bottles
a couple of 5 hour energy drinks (for all-nighters)

Modify your list and you'll have it. Obviously, if you are walking in, you take what fits in a pack and bring an empty one along to fill.
You can also modify a pull-behind golf bag cart (two wheels) to haul tools, etc.. They are high-wheeled and go over logs well.

Good luck!
Bill

Holy crap man are going on a bottle survival mission??[8D]
to each his own,here is my gear.

Shovel
hand tool
buckets
rope
and my trusty 55 gallon drums
oh and my cool pix camera [;)]

swizzle

Reaction score
You should do fine with a set of hand held nippers, a small hand saw, a 3 prong digger and a shovel. Some good leather gloves are a must and knee pads are optional. Bug spray, something to drink and a camera to take lots of pics. You can leave 100's of bottles at the dump by taking pics of them, post them here and find out if they are worth going back for. Don't forget newspaper to wrap up your bring homes. Good Luck and happy diggin'. Swiz

Dugout

Reaction score
Hey Rick,
You forget your Badger [:)]

fldwlkr

Reaction score
If you are new to the collecting thing don't leave that site just yet. The bottles from the mid 1900's are not worth alot of money but the 6 1/2 oz pop bottles are collectible... I have buddies wanting any hobble skirt cokes I don't want. I already mentioned the colored glass stuff. No you won't get rich but you can start building a collection.

fldwlkr

We don't need no stinking badgers[:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26