Impressive auction price for a crown top beer bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Saw this ebay listing for a KY beer from the New South Brewing Co. Still a couple of days left. Nice to see a crown top beer bottle being appreciated. FOHBC (this is not a reflection on them) let an recent article slip through where the writer called us who collect crown tops... BOTTOM FEEDERS. Our hobby doesn't need collectors like that in it. Especially if we don't want our hobby to die off due to no new collectors coming in. I will now get off my soap box. Enjoy.

New South Beer Bottle auction link

Attachments

• A06F0273E1354FE780A5D1C2BED45742.jpg
    A06F0273E1354FE780A5D1C2BED45742.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
I think that is well said Bruce. I, for one, prefer bottles "The older, the better" but I NEVER disparage other collector's preferences. I have a large number of newer "Littles" and enjoy them as much as I used to enjoy my BITTERS and HISTORICALS. I simply enjoy the involvement of the activity. For me, it's more about the people than the objects.

Shame on that author!

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I STILL WOULD BE INTERESTED IN ANY ACL FROM NEW PORT KY. IF THERE ARE ANY...

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
it's more about the people than the objects.

I'm glad you reminded us of that. The bottle is just an avenue for collecting friends. I feel sad [:eek:] for those who miss this and get wrapped up in stuff or price. A bottle may or may not have any value, but friendship is PRICELESS. [sm=thumbup.gif]

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: UncleBruce

it's more about the people than the objects.

I'm glad you reminded us of that. The bottle is just an avenue for collecting friends. I feel sad [:eek:] for those who miss this and get wrapped up in stuff or price. A bottle may or may not have any value, but friendship is PRICELESS. [sm=thumbup.gif]

When I got into collecting bottles in 1974 collectors were already leaving the hobby cause of the snobbery that could be seen and it was getting more and more about the money.

I knew the family ..dad and two sons that were the first ones to start digging the huge dump here ..they started in the 60's..they traded back and forth..money never entered into it..they left when the money started to become a big factor and when some bottles were looked down on.SAD!JAMIE

baltbottles

Reaction score
I've told quite a few people that if it was all about the money. That I wouldn't have a collection I'd just sell everything. And that It wouldn't bother me if these things became worthless because then I could buy more of the bottles I want...

Chris

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'll jump in and agree with you guys about bottle snobbery being a really bad attitude and a major turn off!

The one Bruce started this thread with has KILLER embossing, I have no problem with the bids it's getting.

Yesterday I picked up 2 tooled crowntops that are actually much more rare than their blobtop counterparts, and were blown in the same mold, so as I've been trying to say for some time now, a tooled crown is a BIM bottle, hand made, and is worthy of the same respect as the tooled blob, sometimes more. Remember that back in the 70's and 80's blobs were a buck a piece, nobody even cared what the embossing was, and were often left in tailing piles.. now it's at the point where a hard to find aqua blob can get 50 or 100 easy.. as the decades pass, the collecting scene changes.. I say let people pay what they want and enjoy the hobby and treat your fellow collectors with friendship and respect, no matter what their taste, if not for sheer decency, then cause you might wanna be on someone's good side when they find something you need..!

epackage

Reaction score
Being a collector of a single town where I'm the youngest guy collecting that town means my bottles might be worthless down the road(monetarily), unless a bunch of young Patersonians suddenly decide to find interest in the hobby I'll never be in it for the money. That being the case I'm happy to be a bottom feeder as long as the bottles say Paterson on them. That is a nice crown Bruce....[;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Don't worry Jim eventually someone will feel as passionately as you about Paterson..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2