Incident at the Enfield Ct Bottle Show?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I heard part of a story, and was wondering if any out there knew more as it involves theft of a bottle.
From what I know a woman was at the table of a seller and when the seller was distracted for a moment the bottle was missing.
He confronted said woman and said he wanted to look inside her bag, she insisted on using the ladies room first, checked her bags upon
coming out, no bottle. He then goes in the ladies bathroom and finds his bottle at the bottom of the waste basket. I would be interested to know
more if anyone knows any facts. Not trying to spread rumor but as alot of us attend shows, I would like to know who to look out for
when I am distracted.
I only do the Dover NH show and have only heard of one time bottles were stolen from an unattended display. Is this something that happens at other shows?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I read about that on facebook cd but not much more than the who from, not the whom by. (correct the who/whom. I never got that) I'm not sure how it turned out. Yes, it does happen, not sure if it's happened at Somersrworth... cough... Dover. ;)

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
A lot of dealers abandon their tables. At the GR Show, I was twice left to watch a table and once stood talking with someone at a table the owner abandoned for half an hour. Before it started, half the dealers were all over the place.
My hoodie's pockets would easily hold "smalls". A hand-bag would surely hold even more.
Some had their better bottles put in cabinets.

I'm sure it happens quite a bit. The lack of attention paid to many tables is alarming. It would be even harder to realise the issue if a dealer has, say, 60 bottles on the table and is haggling with someone else.
There must be a lot of trust in these dealers, or something else.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I dont know the who Cowseatmaize , thought someone on the forum might know more about it. I will be at the Dover show so I will have to ask around.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
This happens at many shows, and not just bottle shows! At the recent Memphis Military History & Civil War show last weekend, a brass eagle breast plate from the battle of Corinth, was stolen off a dealers table. Saturday morning, many dealers had a information flyer with a photo of the item, it was headed: STOLEN! Every year a gun is somehow, taken from a dealers table, usually a valuable handgun at one on the local gun shows. At last years annual Midsouth coin show , a 1804 US large cent was stolen, while the dealer dickered with a couple of potential buyers, about a group of other rare coins. The first time , I was aware of this sort of time, was at the Jackson Knife show in the 1990's. Jim Sargent , Long time Case XX collector and author of "American Premium Antique Knife Brands" laid a five bladed Case Tested sowbelly stockman and a Remington UMC bullet shield folding hunter out of his display case. A potential buyer decided he wanted the Remington , and another $700 bullet in a display case further down on another table. As they returned to finish the transaction, Mr. Jim and the buyer realized the $3500 , 1920's Case knife was gone. It was never recovered. Distraction can be a dealers worst enemy.

Last edited:

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Kevin, your settings are wrong for PM's so I emailed the details from facebook..

Last edited:

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Seems to be a common problem at bottle shows, most every one that I have attended seems to have some kind of theft taking place sometime during the show. You just gotta stay at your table or have help there so you can leave occasionly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler