Information needed on George B. Harris!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research on RI companies lately. One I figured that would be very easy has proven to be one of the hardest! The most common non-Providence medicine style bottle from RI is embossed: Geo. B. Harris/ Established 1860/ Centreville, RI.
I have about five of these, including one with a label for Extract of Wintergreen. However, a Google search turns up next to nothing! I was quite surprised, because searches for even the more obscure pharmacists usually have results. It's apparent he wasn't a pharmacist, so perhaps he was a grocer or manufacturer of flavoring extracts. He's in the 1887 RI Business Directory, but it's not available online.

If anyone has access to sites like Fold3.com (a huge resource on newspapers and such), I wold be indebted to any information on this mystery person!

il_570xN.335827390.jpg

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hello RIBottleguy,

I'm curious, what was Mr. Harris' occupation listed in the 1887 directory?

I found George B Harris b1831 in RI in the Federal Census for 1880 and 1900
In 1880 his occupation is listed as "huckster" In 1900 "Manufacturer of Essences"
His Civil War draft registration states "Peddler"

Regards,

druggistnut

Reaction score
I hope this helps you Taylor. I think it is what you were looking for>>

http://books.google.com/books?id=NdAUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1293&dq=harris+grocer+centreville&hl=en&sa=X&ei=koO9UNOGA4ukqwGEn4CoBg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=harris%20grocer%20centreville&f=false

Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
It appears that brother Steven had the good business head. He probably allowed George to piddle in his affairs.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2YFO4eLWaP8C&pg=PA82&dq=harris+grocer+centreville&hl=en&sa=X&ei=koO9UNOGA4ukqwGEn4CoBg&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=harris%20grocer%20centreville&f=false

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! That was helpful information. I especially like the part that calls him a huckster. That would make sense, because I always seem to find at least one of his bottles (broken or whole) at each farm dump I dig. Perhaps they were free samples?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Excellent research, Marjorie & Bill!

A tip o the Tam o' Shanter to'ya...

blue-tam-o-shanter-balmoral.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member