INKS INKS INK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jskirk

Reaction score
That looks to be one of the nicest displays of antique glass I have seen. Those inks with oxblood in them have got to be the coolest looking bottle I have ever seen. Are those pretty rare, or can they be found. I am wondering if this was an Accident that happened While making them. The oxblood really looks close to the oxblood you seen in early ammerican made Transitional hand gathered marbles. Please show more pics of those. Jay

jskirk

Reaction score
anyone have any insight on this, Thanks Jay

macandkatina

Reaction score
Loved looking at these inks.....Really amazing little bottles. Thanks for sharing!

ukpoisonman

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

I believe these were just anomoles caused by the use of contaminated and/or improperly mixed (rejected) glass, maybe at the end of a shift or something ?

There is a thread on this site detailing the ingredients required for different colours, it seems that the red streaks could be an unintended result of certain ingredients.

I started collecting these back in 92 when i dug an aqua FM&Co umbrella shape with nice amber swirls and over the next few years i secured a few others.

Ebay helped me add some really good ones from around 2002 when i started seriously looking for them, and 9 or 10 of my best were teased out of 'the Pellow collection' in the years prior to the whole Pellow collection being sold on ebay from 2010. Roger certainly had an eye for these (and the contacts) and we did various deals. Many times did i press my face against the glass in the UK bottle museum to get a better look when these were on display there.

The red Hollidge boat and the very heavily streaked Morrels boat both came from Rogers collection, the blue and amber Hollidge came from Australia after a patient two year wait the owner decided to part with it. The thickly swirled (onionskin) boat came from a very established collection and was quite out of the blue, i thought i would never get it.

Since i went public with the growing collection there has been a much wider interest in them, and trying to secure them now is very difficult for me as there is serious money chasing the right ones and people know it. But on the other hand it is nice that they are appreciated and sought after by other collectors, i dont feel the need to have them all which is good as i'd be bankrupt.

Heres some old pics as they are all wrapped up under lock and key at present.

The one that started it all

fmswirl.jpg

A few more for your enjoyment...

JD6_8254.jpg

P3200291.jpg

P121009_1324.jpg

P3200264.jpg

Some non-inks in the collection.

JD6_8263.jpg

ukpoisonman

Reaction score
I have heard this type of glass/colour described as 'slag glass', i half expected this to glow under UV but it doesnt.
It does glow a fiery orange up against the sunlight though. the effect can be seen in this pic.

P051209_112501.jpg

Heres another similar one in the collection.

P121009_132403.jpg

P121009_132401.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson