Insulators still up there...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
These pics are from a renovated mill in RI. It was huge, hence the massive steel column to span the river. Apparently the renovators didn't want to deal with it or thought it looked cool. Wish I got there before the renovation, now they are near impossible to grab in the open.

8448869749_febd3b0c95_c.jpg

The cable top ones might be pretty nice...
8448869541_bdfee36b29_c.jpg

BillinMo

Reaction score
Wow... yeah, there's some interesting stuff there! You're right, that cable, especially the larger one at the bottom of the second photo, is a good find. I'm guessing it's a CD 254, which would be a 20.00 and up piece, depending on embossing and color.

And yeah... it looks like it would be waaaay too dangerous to try to get them. Do you have a good friend with a bucket truck?

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I don't think a bucket truck would work, as the column is between the river and a winding walkway. I'm still young and acrobatic, so if I were to somehow get permission a ladder should do the trick. There's plenty of sturdy steel to hold on to, and perhaps a backpack could hold the insulators?

BillinMo

Reaction score
Well... it's tough to say. I can't really get a grasp of the scene given the photos here.

So I'll resort to being an old fuddy-duddy and say that no insulator is worth risking your life. Over the years, I've known more than one family who has tragically lost someone in a pole-climbing accident. I really don't want to see that happen again.

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
That's true!! It does look like fun, but I agree. I see a good climb and I think about climbing when I was young. I am not as young as I use to be and would probably fall.... I am just as clumsy as I use to be. haha

If you did it the right way, with safety gear then it may be worth a try. Just BE CAREFUL and take someone with you in case there is an accident (God forbid).

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
It's about 20 feet to the top. You could reach a lot of them with a ladder. I'm just trying to figure out how I can ask for permission and not get a resounding no, which would be pretty inevitable.

Brains

Reaction score
i see some 254's... a few 252's, and there's a 259 hiding in there interestingly enough.
but even better... those hewlett suspension insulators!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen