Interesting Hazel Atlas 12-panel piece: "1344" product code info? Photos attached

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shuriken

Reaction score
Found a base fragment of a Hazel Atlas clear glass product in an interesting 12-panel sided design. Found online references to pitchers and 4oz drink glasses that are similar, but this has a "1344" code molded into the 1-3/4" diameter base.

Does anyone have info on this code? One place suggested the 44 is year of manufacture, but I'm not sure on that. What say you?

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 122

Shuriken

Reaction score
Would a ketchup bottle be only 1.75" at the base? This holds like a shot glass or smaller drinking cup.

DavidW

Reaction score
Shuriken, That might be the bottom of a jelly glass. Those "jelly glasses" were made by Hazel Atlas, Capstan Glass Company, and others, and usually the glass is a little thicker / heavier than a ketchup bottle. They were often saved and used as small tumblers - drinking glasses or juice glasses, because that is really what they look like (not like the typical modern jelly or jam jars).

Edit: well, just considering the diameter of the base, maybe not.

hey do the sides of the piece go straight up vertical, or slant slightly outward, or slant inward? I can't be sure from looking at the pictures.

The four digit number is the mold or design number assigned to that piece, and I doubt the "44" has anything to do with the date.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler