Iroquois Springs bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I dug a few dozen of these in that weirdo 1890-1915 privy two weeks ago. I couldn't find much about them, and since they're kind of sodas, I was hoping the soda people might be able to help. They're all BIM, so they're probably pre-WWI. But from the little information I found about a possible company online, they must be post 1910. This is from the 1910 "American Bottler" magazine:

"Mr. J. H. Lyons, formerly of Bradford, Pa., has recently opened the Iroquois Bottling Works at Salamanca, N. Y., and is meeting with great success. Among the standard and up-to-date apparatus installed by Mr. Lyons is a Woodbury Beer Pasteurizer and Ouster Spring for bottle-washing machines."

I found them mixed in with almost 100 slick amber beers from before 1905. These dates don't match up, which is why I consider the privy so strange. That and the fact that it was 5' x 10'! I suspect when the privy was being filled in when the house got plumbing around 1917, the homeowners just tossed whatever trash they had in the basement, into the privy. The house was built in 1889, but unfortunately the privy had been dipped, so we only got a little bit of the older use layer. Perplexing to say the least!

The embossing on the bottles is: "FROM/ IROQUOIS SPRINGS (in diagonal script)/ A.S.W. CO PROP'S/ INCORPORATED/ NEW YORK".

2523D1090AD04714B968192011AAD3F1.jpg

I dug many with partial labels intact. This one was the best. Obviously the neck says it's sparkling water, and the label has what looks to be an Indian woman getting water from a spigot coming out of a rock pile.

0E58DAFA8AAC43B19FDF76D424589F24.jpg

Some still had cap and contents, and fizzed up when I shook them!

ECBEB612AEA44A5EA5A7A0877F325A1F.jpg

madman

Reaction score
very cool bottle! got any more?

Wheelah23

Reaction score
A neutron walks into a bar, and he asks for a drink. The bartender replies, "For you? No charge!" [;)]

PM me your address and I'll try to get it out tomorrow.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Look for it in the mail! They all have a little bit of sickness and this weird stubborn dirt, but the embossing side of this one is pretty much clean. A bath in muriatic would clean it up real nice.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen