Is this genuine not modern repop?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oaks6810

Reaction score
Found this at yard sale recently my gut says it's real but wanted to check with experts seeing as so many of modern reopo Weaton bottles out there.

Attachments

• 20211030_153925.jpg
    20211030_153925.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 187
  • 20211030_153933.jpg
    20211030_153933.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 182
  • 20211030_153938.jpg
    20211030_153938.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 183

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that is an incredible yard sale find! Maybe the best yard sale find I've seen posted on here. Admittedly I'm no expert on flasks but I've never heard of any reproduction bottle having an iron pontil. It's definitely not a Wheaton or anything like that, which were made using modern methods and look nothing like yours.

oaks6810

Reaction score
Wow that is an incredible yard sale find! Maybe the best yard sale find I've seen posted on here. Admittedly I'm no expert on flasks but I've never heard of any reproduction bottle having an iron pontil. It's definitely not a Wheaton or anything like that, which were made using modern methods and look nothing like yours.
Thanks I actually only paid $1. It was big open house sale towards end of the day. Lots of antique dealers there and I was leary about it being genuine because so many others overlooked it. Assuming it's real.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Thanks I actually only paid $1. It was big open house sale towards end of the day. Lots of antique dealers there and I was leary about it being genuine because so many others overlooked it. Assuming it's real.
Isn’t that worth $1,000 ? Absolutely incredible find. Honestly, you can hit it really good sometimes. People are respectfully ignorant and don’t know how much money they have in their hands. Isn’t that a common thing in privy digging on people’s property? They don’t know their local bottles are valuable, thus you can walk away with hundreds or thousands dollars worth of bottles. It didn’t take me long to understand the value of bottles without researching. It’s something I call “Antique logic”.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The iron pontil is a dead giveaway that it's the real Mccoy. I know of no repro with an iron pontil.

Don't know what it's worth but it's not a common one and you sure as heck are going to recoup your dollar.

Jim G

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Found this at yard sale recently my gut says it's real but wanted to check with experts seeing as so many of modern reopo Weaton bottles out there.
Unbelievable! This is why I love going to yard and estate sales. It can happen! My best purchase was when I paid $6 for a bottle that is worth around $1,200. This one however, beats my best purchase! Congrats on your find!

oaks6810

Reaction score
What an awesome find! If you are looking for more information, it appears to be a GI-108 in McKearin. It's a beauty and very scarce.
Thanks for information. I don't thinking it's the GI-108 because that's a pt. I think this is qt. Stands about 9" tall.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Please take good care of this to the utmost of your ability. DO NOT WASH WITH STANDARD WATER. Distilled water is the best choice for something like this. This actually should only require a stream on the outside and no inside cleaning. If you would like, you can give it a good clean with the spray version of Bar Keepers Friend. Works wonders. I also suggest felt/ velcro protectors for the bottom. Great museum quality piece.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75