It's too hard to pick a favorite

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
THANKS for that! I have Covill and know of the Faulkners but didn't know they have a book out. Do you know if it can still be gotten, or is it like Mr. Covill's book, out of print and hard as heck to get?

I wonder if the tall Estes's (and yes, the tall one is embossed that way, with two "s" and an apostrophe in between) is the one from the Harmer Rooke auction. It's the only one I've ever seen besides mine.

Jim G

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I'll drop you a pm or email sometime, maybe after the holidays. I've never seen a tumbling operation, so it would be interesting to drive the bottles to you. The turtle is REAL thick glass, so I think it will stand up to tumbling pretty well. I don't know if it's cloudy on the inside as well as the outside, but I'm guessing it probably is. I'm assuming it was probably a privy dig. It will be a nice piece clean, and it's one of the harder to get names on a turtle, "S.Mfg.Co." Generally assumed to be sanford's.

Jim G

saratogadriver

Reaction score
THANKS for that! I have Covill and know of the Faulkners but didn't know they have a book out. Do you know if it can still be gotten, or is it like Mr. Covill's book, out of print and hard as heck to get?

Now I'm replying to myself... Must be getting old. Never mind this request, I googled Ed and Lucy and found their website with the book for sale. Put it on the Christmas list for myself. If I like it I'll probably order one for my father (whose ink collection dwarfs mine) as well.

Jim G

bottlediger

Reaction score
Sounds good Jim

And dan I just looked into that book you mentioned I never heard of it before either. Seems really nice but they are asking 75 + $10 shipping! Seems pretty high for a spiral book.

Digger Ry

saratogadriver

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlediger

Sounds good Jim

And dan I just looked into that book you mentioned I never heard of it before either. Seems really nice but they are asking 75 + $10 shipping! Seems pretty high for a spiral book.

Digger Ry

Agree with you on the $ for self published book. But: A. it's been a LOOOOONG time since Covill published, any update is appreciated and B. if there's anything you can fault the Covill book for it's the B and W photos and the lack of detail about many of the manufacturers out there. I don't think either of those things were what Bill Covill was trying to do though, I think he was just trying to capture every bottle he could get between the covers.

For an ink collector, the new book looks very interesting.

Jim G

bottlediger

Reaction score
I hear that. When I heard a few collectors rave about the Covill book and it was a must have for the ink collectors, I just had to get it. Well I got one and was horribly disipointed for the reasons you listed above. I have no problem spending the money on a good book like the ring/ham bitters books but I just wont pay 85 bucks for a spiral.

Digger Ry

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlediger

Sounds good Jim

Digger Ry

I am not trying to sell their book just bringing attention to it. I struggled with buying it because of the price but I was glad I finally did buy it. I know how much work went into it to put it together. Each page was printed by them on an inkjet printer, punched and then spiral bound by hand. The research, photographing and the time it takes to put one together more than accounts for their price in my estimation. I think that it is a true work of love and I am thankful for people like them who have taken on a project like this so that I can have something to use as a reference. Just my opinion.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I am not trying to sell their book just bringing attention to it. I struggled with buying it because of the price but I was glad I finally did buy it. I know how much work went into it to put it together. Each page was printed by them on an inkjet printer, punched and then spiral bound by hand. The research, photographing and the time it takes to put one together more than accounts for their price in my estimation. I think that it is a true work of love and I am thankful for people like them who have taken on a project like this so that I can have something to use as a reference. Just my opinion.

One of the things I've promised to do for myself when I retire is some serious research into some of the more prominent makers of ink in the US. What little is in the Covill book is tantalizing, but I'd love to know more about Harrison, and E. Waters, and Carter (that company seems to have gone through numerous iterations) and JJ Butler in Cincinatti OH. There HAD to be ink in this coutry pre-revolution, and many sellers post revolution, yet we know little about the early makers.

I'd LOVE to update Covill with color pics and more detail. Looks to me like that's what Ed and Lucy have done. Pity these days for a small, speciality item like this, you have to self publish. Someone should tell them though that you can self publish through a local publisher, and that business will do all the work. I don't know what it would cost for a book their size, but it would be certainly easier for them.

Jim G

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Nice ink collection. We started out with some inks, we have about 15 or so. No real aspirations to improve on it at this time, but we do like them. Maybe when we get all of the poisons we are after, which should take the rest of our lives at this rate. [:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause