J Brandmann Toronto bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cryptic

Reaction score
Hi everyone! A friend of mine unearthed this bottle and I was wondering if someone might have some information about it? I have tried an internet search to find some information but have come up empty. It is embossed J Brandmann Soda Manufacturer Trade <JB> Mark Toronto. It is a Crown Top and the seam stops before the top. 1920's? Thank you for any help. [attachment=IMG_5101.jpg]

Attachments

• 096a61fb524449318eafb07063d5a02c.jpg
    096a61fb524449318eafb07063d5a02c.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 72

2find4me

Reaction score
Is there any embossing on the base or the heel? 1910-1920 sounds about right. So far I haven't found much either.

cryptic

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to help me out trying to find anything about this bottle. Here is a picture of the base of the bottle. There is nothing on it. Someone has to know something about this bottle or maybe a fellow Canadian has seen one before?[attachment=IMG_7438.jpg]

Attachments

• 5c28a96b493e4b0ea51bbc02d76e9fd7.jpg
    5c28a96b493e4b0ea51bbc02d76e9fd7.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 66

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello cryptic: That looks like a punty rod empontiled bottom to me. Obviously you know the crown finish was hand tooled - no doubt there are some turned tool marks on it. I have four or five hand tooled crown finish bottles. A good bottle for any collection. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's the thing with the picture resizing Red, it's tough to get s good look. The iridescence on the base obscures it a little but it looks like an "Owens ring" to me. Super sizing the pic here I think I see a horizontal seam just under the lip and also about at the shoulder, some sort of multi part mold maybe. It kind of needs an in person look.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
It's machine made, for sure -- Owens' ring and, yes, a horizontal seam just under the skirt of the crown top. I'd say by the crudity of the Owens' ring, that this is an earlier ABM. Toronto's Jewish community in the early 1900s through to the 1920s gave rise to several bottling operations, including Brandmann's, and most of their bottles were embossed with the Star of David.

cryptic

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the information. I can let my friend know that they have a very nice bottle and possibly a rare one. I'm surprised that there is not a lot of information available on this one.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I went back and looked at all the pictures. The picture of the bottom does not look like an Owens ring to me. The Owens ring was made by a shear cut-off on the lifted glass. This ring is almost as large as the bottom. RED M.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
RED Matthews said:
Well I went back and looked at all the pictures. The picture of the bottom does not look like an Owens ring to me. The Owens ring was made by a shear cut-off on the lifted glass. This ring is almost as large as the bottom. RED M.

No, that's definitely an Owens ring, I've got several bottles with rings that crude or cruder on the base which are unquestionably ABM. It might have been a Canadian thing, I don't think I've seen an ABM American bottle with a ring that crude on it. I've always thought it was funny how off-centre the rings could be, I don't know why that is but it was quite common in the tens/twenties.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS