Jeny Lind (yep, misspelled)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mary Sue

Reaction score
Well, this is probably a repro, and a bad one if so: Ms. Lind's first name is misspelled 'Jeny'. Could it be that if this is indeed a repro that the misspelling makes it more collectible?

Front is 'Jeny Lind' with bust of the singer surrounded by boughs.

Reverse has a log cabin, and above smoke from stack is one sizable white inclusion.

jeny_lind_front.JPG

jeny_lind_back.JPG

jeny_lind_bottom.JPG

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
There were 4 made with that spelling. That looks like a real GI-102. Does it say GLASS FACTORY over the building?
PS Welcome.

Mary Sue

Reaction score
No, it doesn't.

And let me go on to say that I am posting quite a few items on this forum in an effort to become a better educated seller of these bottles. They were collected by my late husband, and I don't have an interest in them. I do plan, in proportion to the quality of information I receive, to donate to the site.

Thank you for any advice you might provide.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I do plan, in proportion to the quality of information I receive, to donate to the site
That's a very nice gesture, I just like the bottles. There some great stuff and lots of folk here to help.
It must be the other side showing through. The roof looks shingled making it a GI-103. Probably about $100-150 on an average day. Don't quote me on that though, I'll have to check some trends. It's a great bottle! I'm not sure about the white your referring to or if it will effect value. It's probably just something in the making.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Mary Sue; There have been some nice runs about these bottles and their characteristics are unique. I think the earliest would have had a blowpipe tube pontil on them. Then there some with Punty Iron with graphite paste and iron dust empontilling marks. That series also had an applied finish that was quite different.

There have been quite a few reproductions of these made through the years. One of the early reproductions is well worth knowing about.

If you want to email me, please do. <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>
My homepage is: http://www,bottlemysteries.com/welcome

With best regards and a special caution, that if I were in shoes, I would do a lot of studying the facts and characteristics of these bottles.
Clarence RED Matthews

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Yep, it's an original all right. Eric's estimate of $100 to $150 is spot on...

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hi Mary Sue, Your bottle is the GI-103 made at the Whitney glass works in Glassboro New Jersey 1850 to 1853.
All of the Jenny Lind bottles were made during her triumphant tour in The United States in September of 1850 through May of 1852.
The bottles were only made during her whirlwind tour as the glass houses capitolized on her popularity just like a musical star today would have a huge market of goods.Jenny Lind did the exact same thing the Beatles did in 1963 but on an even grander scale.She was loved by virtually all age groups not just the youth.She was the wealthiest and the most well known singer of the entire 1800s.

The difference between the GI-102 also probably made at the Williamstown New Jersey glass works and your bottle the Gi-103 which was deffinatley made at the Whitney Glass Works is the lack of embossing on the Factory side of the bottle.On the GI-102 above the glass factory the words in an arch GLASS * FACTORY There is a slightly larger then the lettering 6 pointed star between the Words GLASS FACTORY.
On the Jenny Lind side of the bottle a bust of Jenny wearing a plain dress surrounded by laurel leafs in an arch and the embossing stating JENY LIND also in an arch over the laurel leafs and her bust.

On your bottle the GI-103 seems exactly the same as the GI_102 but it is not as there are suttle differences through out.On your bottle on the glass factory side there is no lettering.Careful examination of the two bottles side by side shows the very suttle differences between the two bottles.The factorys are different as the smoke leaving the stack is angled down more towards the ground on the GI-103.On the Jeny Lind side of the bottle the dress she is wearing is different then the one on the GI_102.This dress has large buttons in it and has more fabric lines then the GI-102.

Each bottle is made in the calabash style and molds were most likely cut by Philip Doflein the famous mold maker in business with Samuel Huffsey
with a store front in Philadelphia.Your bottle is listed as comparitivley scarce meaning according to Mckearins standard 75 to 150 specimens are accounted for.Even if the numbers for comparitivley scarce are under estimated any collectable antique item numbering 300 or less would be rare by todays standards based on the number of collectors in the hobbyI personally own five GI-102s and eleven GI-103s Jenny Lind bottles are my specialty.I would say yor bottle depending on condition is worth in fair condition ,125.00 good 175.00 very good 200.00 and mint 275.00 and up depending on the local environment.I hope this was helpfull Mary Sue.

819AADD6582148FC8F8CE63EBAE218D1.jpg

Attachments

• 819AADD6582148FC8F8CE63EBAE218D1.jpg
    819AADD6582148FC8F8CE63EBAE218D1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 63

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The same picture with explanations shown.

CCA8E28C85E840AA8F12E623B93363B1.jpg

Attachments

• CCA8E28C85E840AA8F12E623B93363B1.jpg
    CCA8E28C85E840AA8F12E623B93363B1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 64

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Re: RE: Jeny Lind (yep, misspelled)

Hello Steve, I was researching a Jeny Lind flask I have and it appears to be a GI-103s in mint condition and it is not what I collect so if you would be interested please contact me and I will send pictures to you. Thanks, Kevin..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter