Jug, yard sale find info needed

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coreya

Reaction score
Got a call from someone I had left my number with after letting them know I collected old bottles and this is what they had, I explained the jugs and ceramic wax sealers were not my area of knowledge and the jars were ok but nothing real special except for the #13 mason which I suggested they put on ebay. They told me they wanted it all gone and to make them an offer so for 20 bucks thats what I got. My question is the jugs, one has a name that looks like J.W. GERLEISEN (not sure of the spelling) and owensboro ky. on it the other has no markings what so ever, there is one that has been painted silver but has a brown glaze under the paint and it has no handle. Anyone know anything about these such as age, value etc? Thanks
The other ones are wax sealer type 1/2 gal or there abouts and one that is or looks like a weir type jug missing the metal closer and lid, all are painted over the glaze which I will clean off when I have some time. Again any info is greatly appreciated

100_1081.jpg

100_1083.jpg

100_1084.jpg

100_1085.jpg

100_1086.jpg

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
The brown jug with the lettering is called a scratch jug.. normally they have a town and store name or address on them.. most commonly referded to as store or merchant jugs.. A nice smalll town NJ one would fetch 200.00 till 400.00 or more.. I am not sure what the values are in your area but it'sa good one none the less..

green dragon

Reaction score
wow !

I'm jealous ... up here ppl want 20 bucks for a broken shard of old glass.

greedy area - hundreds of old houses though, still working on any to dig ... sigh ....

Great score, congrats !

coreya

Reaction score
I wil post some pictures of the jugs once I strip all the paint someone covered them with, the one I started has a really nice shiney gold brown glaze on it hope the rest are as nice.

coreya

Reaction score
Here they are after cleaning, why anyone would paint them is beyond me. The scratch jug has a set of fingerprints along the base where the potter held the jug when dipping it. Just thought it was interesting.

100_1091.jpg

100_1092.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday