just explorin'

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diginit

Reaction score
Found another place to dig as soon as it rains here once or twice.
Here's a neat little 2&7/8" perfume bottle, lovely scent. From the bottom of the hillside. Can someone tell me when bakelite was used? I'd also really like to know if this umbrealla ink is a snap top or is the rolled lip broken. It's got such a long thin neck that only a very slim pen or feather would fit. Found at the top with a couple of aqua BIM unembossed meds. T.I.A.(thanks in advance)
Best wishes to all the folks weathering the storms in florida and the islands in the hurricanes' wake.
Hope lots of nice bottles wash up on shore to compensate.

Ig13470.jpg

Attachments

• Ig13470.jpg
    Ig13470.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 89

Bluebelle

Reaction score
That little perfume is gorgeous! Brief history of bakelite from a google on "bakelite history"
1907 - invented by chemist Leo Baekeland
1910 - first commercial manufacturing plant set up.
1920-1930's height of commercial manufacturing, many products made, including telephones, radios, stuff like insulators, etc. bakelite jewelry very popular.
1941 - production stopped because of the war, not resumed post-war because many other plastics and synthetics had come into use.
1985 "rediscovered" with interest in retro things.
Present - the "better" bakelite jewelry from the 20-30's sells at auction from the $100's to the thousands. Hope this helps - I love to google up the interesting things members post about.

diginit

Reaction score
I kinda expected that. I'm going to call this site the rockdump. I'ts mean. Thank you for leaving the sugar coating in the bottle, Woody.
I guess I can safely date the perfume from 1920 to 1941 then. Great! I'ts got some really small ripples here and there. Had to take it home. This was a great perfume. I wish I knew the name to buy some for a gift. Thanks bluebelle

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS