Just moved the girlfriend to OSU in Columbus, Ohio...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
And already I've found a dump! [:)]

The drive from Peoria to Columbus was a tedious 8 hours, largely due to the irregular hillbilly-esque load of furniture which required several adjustments (and low speeds) during the trip. The whole way I was indulging in pipe-dreams about IP Sodas and mountains of early medicines cascading from undiscovered ravines, just waiting for me to stumble upon them. Naturally this will probably never happen anywhere, but the prospect of getting some glass from a far older and larger town than Peoria kept my worn and weary body going.

The day after arriving and unloading, I found an ABM cork bromo in a hole left by a stump-grinder a few blocks from my gal's apartment (Off High St.) while I was taking a walk trying to get acquainted with the new surroundings. A good omen. Common, but still a good sign from the bottle-gods.

Today was the first real day of scouting for bottles (and scrap metal) along the Olentangy river, and I found plenty of scrap copper, scrap wire, and aluminum items, in addition to a great folding camp chair, a 160-200X pocket microscope, a few computer games, a year's worth of Playboys at what seemed to be a homeless camp (left those, god knows where they've been and my gal is more than I can handle anyway!), an estwing hammer, and a handblown hippy-style "Nug Jug" (marijuana bottle, empty sadly) complete with cork, fancy coloring, and refired twist pontil! (the bong next to it was shattered though, lol) [:D]

Grabbed up a few nice buckeyes for my newly initiated "Buckeye" as well, and saw at least 5 snakes in and near water which surprised me. I dunno which ones are poisonous here but I better figure it out fast (especially when scouting wearing flippy-floppies[&:])!

Anyway, I was walking along a slope and saw a buncha TOC-1920 stoneware glass and stuff on the surface amongst the clinkers, mostly the work of groundhogs, and I got myself a 1915 Coca Cola and a slug plate soda with the top knocked off, both from Columbus, as well as a pound of copper sheeting from the pile by one of the holes. I peered in the holes and the ash was awesome looking and deep, with shards and refuse mixed in. Score. I know that this age material isn't really considered worthwhile by diggers here, but i am not spoiled by extremely old stuff yet so I will happly tear the place up looking for some scarce goodies to decorate the girlfriend's apartment with. I'm sure she will love that. [;)]

I also found a dump with 50s stuff on top but that is too new even for me, so I'll leave it be for now. Hopefully as I work my way to the oldest parts of town I will find several more dumps, but considering how little ground I actually covered I think i'm doing great. Pictures to come later.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Peter Pfeiffer Columbus O. Squat discovery

While in Columbus I absorbed a great deal of practical information. Part of this learning involved figuring out how to make money without a job (legally, mind you)

I have been collecting the more valuable scrap metals for quite a while, but have ignored iron and steel. Here in columbus I am getting 230/ gross ton for #2 rusty steel, and though that amount may seem difficult to collect, it is very easy when you look in areas where one may expect bottle dumps to be located. Piles of scrap have saturated creeks and rivers and are quick ways to make 12-30$+ (100+ to 250+ pounds found, organized, and loaded) per hour while searching for bottles and other good stuff. I've been stockpiling the brass and copper so it will be a nice payday when I feel it is time to exchange it for cash.

About 10 days ago I found a "P. Schille Columbus O." hutchinson soda with a PS monogram on the surface of the ground at the base of the rocky slope of the east bank of the Olentangy River. Judging from the abundance of fragmentary Schille bottles up to the ACL era seen in my travels I figured it was pretty common.

But today I found on the surface of a slope an aqua "Peter Pfeifer Columbus O." squat/pony blob with no chips/cracks and a nice applied lip. It has a keymold base and is marked "L&W" which dates it to 1874 or before. A better surface find than just about anything I've found in Peoria, IL, but unfortunately I can't find any information about the bottle. Probably not rare, but it sure is an awesome piece to have found almost totally exposed on the surface. If any of you have some insight to the find I would appreciate your sharing quite a bit.

I also discovered the shale layer which is the source of the pretty Pyrite clusters I've been finding in the creeks here, so was able to gather a bunch of that material while scrapping and looking for glass today. "It's hard work being poor" Lepew62 stated before, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun. [:)]

Brains

Reaction score
RE: Peter Pfeiffer Columbus O. Squat discovery

you make columbus seem way nicer than it is, ha. Glad to hear the scrap metal business is good along the river, seems a bit odd though but than again it's the olentangy. So, naturally, as a someone living in columbus, i'm curious as to where your finding pyrite? I like bottles and stuff... but for some reason i'm more interested in there being pyrite in columbus.
Is the river like really low right now? I was up in the hoover reservoir near Galena yesterday and it was a good 5-10 feet lower than normal, there along with the other reservoirs out by Delaware might be interesting spots to look while they're so low. I wanted to see if i could find the submerged town of Cole's mills in Delaware Lake... might have been cool.
Anyways, best of luck while your with us in Columbus, the weathers gona be real' nice the rest of the week so it should be good for lookin.

Anthonicia

Reaction score

I hope you like Columbus! I am from Dayton originally, and I use to look everywhere for scrap metal there. I snuck into an old project apartment building that was scheduled for demo one night. Was taking the copper/aluminum coils out of the baseboard heaters. This place was so crime ridden the cops were scared to go down the streets, so I wasn't worried about them. I was more worried about the crackheads having the same idea as I did and then taking my score.

Well, I put all the scrap in 2 street trash cans and rolled them to my truck at about 4 am. I was shocked when I had a check for $1700 in my hand a few hours later at the scrap yard. It was a friggin load of copper! Never found any bottles good for anything anywhere, but a nice haul of scrap metal makes up for all that!

I used to find pyrite in the ravine behind my grandfathers house in Vandalia, Ohio. There was a good bit of quartz with gold flakes in it too. Never could find out if it was just washed downstream like that, thrown in, or what. Sorry for the long post, don't mean to hijack you!

surfaceone

Reaction score

But today I found on the surface of a slope an aqua "Peter Pfeifer Columbus O." squat/pony blob with no chips/cracks and a nice applied lip. It has a keymold base and is marked "L&W" which dates it to 1874 or before. A better surface find than just about anything I've found in Peoria, IL, but unfortunately I can't find any information about the bottle. Probably not rare, but it sure is an awesome piece to have found almost totally exposed on the surface. If any of you have some insight to the find I would appreciate your sharing quite a bit.

Hello Stephen,

The bottle is listed as "738
Pfeifer, Peter. Columbus. (Incomplete)" in the Sodas section of the 2007 edition of the Ohio Bottles book. Shoot me a PM if you are inclined to update them and I'll give you the contact information.

Leave it to you to discover a previously undocumented bottle, on one of your original forays. A wave of the spade to you!

BR%20giant%20shovel.jpg

appliedlips

Reaction score

Translation:
Hey everyone, I am a thief and proud of it!

ORIGINAL: Anthonicia

I hope you like Columbus! I am from Dayton originally, and I use to look everywhere for scrap metal there. I snuck into an old project apartment building that was scheduled for demo one night. Was taking the copper/aluminum coils out of the baseboard heaters. This place was so crime ridden the cops were scared to go down the streets, so I wasn't worried about them. I was more worried about the crackheads having the same idea as I did and then taking my score.

Well, I put all the scrap in 2 street trash cans and rolled them to my truck at about 4 am. I was shocked when I had a check for $1700 in my hand a few hours later at the scrap yard. It was a friggin load of copper! Never found any bottles good for anything anywhere, but a nice haul of scrap metal makes up for all that!

I used to find pyrite in the ravine behind my grandfathers house in Vandalia, Ohio. There was a good bit of quartz with gold flakes in it too. Never could find out if it was just washed downstream like that, thrown in, or what. Sorry for the long post, don't mean to hijack you!

Anthonicia

Reaction score

It was going to get demolished anyways. I don't view it as being a thief really, didn't hurt anyone. Wasn't climbing telephone poles and shutting down the power for half the city. Wouldn't ever do anything like it again though. I honestly didn't think it was wrong at the time, but yeah I guess your kinda right, but I'm no crook!

708100D49EDB48938DF5506DA11A119A.jpg

ORIGINAL: appliedlips

Translation:  
Hey everyone, I am a thief and proud of it!

ORIGINAL: Anthonicia

Attachments

• 708100D49EDB48938DF5506DA11A119A.jpg
    708100D49EDB48938DF5506DA11A119A.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 57

Plumbata

Reaction score

Finally here are some photographs:

The hutch is the Schille piece I found about 200 yards north of the W. Dodridge St. Bridge along the rock outcroppings on the east bank. There used to be a huge amusement park in that area between the 1890s and 1930s, and there is an ash dump there near where I found the bottle but I dunno if it will produce similar material.

The "Peter Pfeifer Columbus O." blob was found a tad further north in Clintonville along a creek, and perplexed be because I saw no old houses in the area. There was a groundhog hole a bit up the steep slope and it may have been kicked from there, but I saw no ash or other debris save a shard of a salt glazed crock. It is 7 and 5/16ths inches tall. So surfaceone, does "(incomplete)" mean the bottle they had available as primary source information was broken, or that the data given to them from someone else was incomplete or not reliable? Think it is actually a decent one? Thanks for your willingness to search through your book and offer the information, but it seems to have created far more questions than the few it answered!

All but the Bromo and the "Pretzinger's Catarrh Balm Dayton Ohio" (which I broke a few minutes before photographing) were plucked from the surface. The few times I scratched around I clearly didn't find anything as good as what the shards nearby, or the surface finds, seemed to indicate might be buried in the area.

The 2 bottles laying flat are a "Re Umberto Peer-Amid Bottles" and an unusual "Baby-Jumbo Pat.Pen J.S. Co. 3DR." candy holder pencil thing.
44911_10100239768997820_1937295_60131924_254587_n.jpg

Book printed in 1900 about the fascinating life of a 19th century hustler of cattle, county rights to inventions, and cures for deafness amongst many other things. There is a neat section where he describes buying the druggists last 4 empty bottles within which he packages some special varnish and proceeds to peddle it to people in the country. He then barters for clean empty bottles which several households have on hand. Interesting stuff. Got it for 6 bucks and am 300 pages in so far. It's a fun read.

44911_10100239769002810_1937295_60131925_6377450_n.jpg

Hey brains, here are some pics of the pyrite that comes from the dark shales at or near creek-floor level. I chiseled the 54 gram circular piece out of the "living" rock which was at water level n the creekbed along Overbrook Drive, off of High St. Most of this stuff was found loose, and it seems decently abundant. The shale has a flat cleavage plane so if you see mounded irregularities in the sheets of shale, red or rusty stains (from oxidation of the FeS2) or of course clusters of crystals then it is worth checking out. I bet that closer investigation and searching for the prime layer would lead to some pretty excellent specimens if a day of intensive quarrying was to be done. Got these (minus the 150 gram initial discovery a week or so ago found in the creek in Glen Echo Park) in about 25 minutes while looking for bottles and scrap as well.

44911_10100239769012790_1937295_60131927_2694336_n.jpg

44911_10100239769017780_1937295_60131928_7672703_n.jpg

65143_10100239769766280_1937295_60131939_929536_n.jpg

150 gram elongated pyrite sandwich of 2 macrocrystalline layers around a zone of microcrystalline, more dull looking pyrite.
65143_10100239769771270_1937295_60131940_6951873_n.jpg

Only half exposed, could be a pretty nice one.
65143_10100239769776260_1937295_60131941_3730922_n.jpg

See the stains? Probably a crappy specimen but the rusty staining is something to be very observant of. All the exposed pyrite was more-or-less stained before I scrubbed it all up for the picture.
65143_10100239769786240_1937295_60131943_721251_n.jpg

logueb

Reaction score

Great finds Steven. In a new town and finding some great stuff already!!! I have sold some scap metal also, but mostly aluminum cans. I sold some cans that I had crushed and received a check for $70. There is a recycling center in town and I need to sell some more. Thanks for sharing. Buster

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter