Kansas City Hutch

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Johnnysoda

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I found this bottle in my uncles barn and he had no clue what it was. He knows i collect bottles so he told me to take a picture and ask around so we can find out about it. So i come here to you!

The embossing reads "M & G Dougherty Kansas City Mo"

I looked it up on hutchbook and if im reading it right, it said it was S for Scarce? If anyone has any more info about this bottle or possible value, please tell [:)] Thanks!

[attachment=IMG_0982.JPG]

Attachments

• 9820ec0ef2b54ad18c404d254f331328.jpg
    9820ec0ef2b54ad18c404d254f331328.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 79

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
S = Scarce, which they claim is under 100 examples known, but that is often inaccurate. (10 - 100 is a good margin, though.) It looks like you have a "tombstone" platemold on that, which is very nice. Those are always more fun than the regular circle.The blob is very pronounced, and the embossing is strong albeit suffers caseware. There is a lot of staining, but done right it can look a lot closer to new than it has in a century. I'd say it's a great piece. What does the bottom and heel say?

CreekWalker

Reaction score
It's a super nice MO hutch! Like bear says, could be 10 around or 100, so pricing it, is sort of tricky. If you had two bidders , who had to have it, grand pa might see $150 gain, with strong bidding. Otherwise , the range would be $45 to 65, depending on demand. I like it and that's what counts, to me!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Why do scarce Southern hutches supposedly (I never looked into it) sell for $30+ but scarce Northern ones (not from ND/SD and Montana and such) sell for $30 or less?

2find4me

Reaction score
There are tons of soda collectors and hutch collectors down south, especially in FL & AL. I think all the bidding wars we have between collectors bring up the price a bit since there is more demand. This is not always true though, I have seen the far northern state hutches go for big bucks. Alaska for example.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Johnny, I'm gonna send you a PM about this hutch. Nice barn find.Scott

Johnnysoda

Reaction score
Bear - Thank you very much for the reply! I should have taken a picture of the heel and base but i didnt. I will not be at my uncles again until Christmas but i will definitely be checking it then. I will update when that happens!

Creek - Im glad you like it! The bottle was just sitting in a box full of medicines from the 60s and a whisky, along with some Clorox bottles. Im going to try to get my uncle to let me have it or let me buy it :D

Thanks again!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Sharon, that would make sense. Johnny, I don't frankly know why he doesn't really seem to want it but didn't give it to you. Up here, if its not wanted and you're family/close friend, we typically just give it to you if you show interest. But the issue with that is one of my nephews... "Can I have it?" "I want that." "Give me that." So maybe that's why.... LOL. Gotta love cultural differences and what they lead to.

Johnnysoda

Reaction score
Well he never said he didn't want it, he bought the property he lives on last year and it came with 4 barns scattered around full of stuff. This one was the main barn used and this bottle was in a box full of 60s meds and beers. He joked around and told me he wanted the bottle to pay for a new tractor, which both of us knew that it was highly unlikely ever come to that. Ill keep you updated on what happens, ill probably call him today and tell him the info you guys gave me. Thanks

Lordbud

Reaction score
"Alaska for example."Ha ha. Alaska bottles go for generally high prices due to their general lack of availability. And the Alaska bottle collectors are generally unknown to most Western bottle collectors. And they're generally close-mouthed. Don't know of any Alaska bottle collectors' shows. There is an Alaska druggist bottle up on ebay right now for a few hundred "buy it now". No bids after a few weeks watching.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine123