...Kings and Queens...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rallcollector

Reaction score
Stopped at a garage sale on the way back from a job about 45 minutes west. They had a five gallon pail of canning jars, with most of them 1/2 pints. I set aside a dozen clear Ball ideals, a 1/2 dozen Atlas E-Z Seals...and at the bottom of the pail, I about fell over. I picked out 2 unembossed square jars, very similar to the Atlas Good Luck 1/2 pints. I thought to myself, 'cool, a couple good finds.' Next were 2 Queens. Not too shabby. Then out came a side wire clamp Wears. Really cool. Last, not one but two side wire clamp pictoral Kings. I remember thinking, 'is this happening?' Then came the sticky part. I had zero dollars in my pocket...I'm not kidding...none. Just whatever change was in the console of the truck. I didn't even want to take the time to drive and hunt for an atm. I must have an honest face, because I asked the homeowner if he'd take a check, and after hesitating for what seemed like 45 minutes [in reality, probably a full second], he said, 'sure'.

The Kings and the Wears don't have the correct lids, but I'm thinking the Kant Krack lids the Redbook describes are actually fairly common because I've seen them on pints and quarts before. I snapped a couple photos, complete with a century of crud and shed dust, exactly the way they came out of the pail.

4A82A8A40FB740329358A8F69FF76CFF.jpg

Attachments

• 4A82A8A40FB740329358A8F69FF76CFF.jpg
    4A82A8A40FB740329358A8F69FF76CFF.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 58

cyberdigger

Reaction score
They are probably the perfect containers for storing bottle collectors' brains. .. preserved until our bottles finally become valuable.. never give up! [:)]

LC

Reaction score
To me , that is a great find . I seldom ever come across half pint jars here in my area , and when I did they were always Ball with the glass lid . As stated before by me in other posts , there seems to be very little of anything in my area anymore !

madman

Reaction score
ill agree with the above nice jars!

dygger60

Reaction score
Congrats on the finds....those half pint Kings are not easy to find.....Not much weekend running around here....been VERY busy...even working today......they offered double time.....can not turn that down.

Peace folks......have a great Labor Day weekend.....

David aka dygger60

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
I'd say you did pretty well. The Queens (RB 2446) book at $15-$20 each. The Wears (RB 2920) at $100-$125 - although RB does specify a lid embossed "Wears (shield) The Wears Jar". It's still pretty good with a Kant Krack lid I would think. However, it's the Kings that are the real prize - RB 1417 (unmarked on base, listed as Canadian) at $250-$300. Now to me, that seems a little high even for hard-to-find half pints. The only way I guess to find out is to offer one for sale & see what you get for it. Myself, I'd give you a C-note right now, no questions asked & I'll clean it up myself & find my own lid. -Tammy

rallcollector

Reaction score
Tammy,
Thanks for the offer Tammy. I have a tendancy to hang on to the jars that I don't see offered for sale too often. Out of curiosity, I checked Redbook 9 for the King's listed price, and it was $200-250. I think it's a reflection of the scarcity more than anything. Hoosierjar had a #1414 [a crown version] a couple years back, and it went for [I think] $95. I haven't seen this version offered on ebay or NAG ever. I think that speaks for the listed price. Kinda like the Pine P Mason 1/2 pints. You see a couple a year on ebay, if that. Compare that to the blue Ball Perfect Mason 1/2 pints, it's a couple a week, with demand driving their price.
Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles