Last summer dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
I finally found a dump with decent age and a few finds worth posting. There is an area I had been wanting to explore and finally got out. It wasn't really a digging trip, just exploration of a very interesting natural area but I noticed a Greek Revival farm house on the same block as the area I was headed to. I started the day walking through nice spring fed wetlands, mature woods, sandstone ledges, and cold water streams. I made my way into the second growth woods and discovered a 1910-1950 dump from the house I noticed on the way in, heavily dug of course. I didn't spend much time there. The area I live in has been dug for many years and it is quite rare to find an untouched dump. I made my way back to the old growth woods, and noticed that it was kind of junky: sap buckets, milk cans, etc all over the place along with a couple of very old sugarhouse foundations, but no bottles. I found a nice waterfall, and noticed a small ephemeral side stream coming in up above. I checked this out and noticed something white....ironstone...so I continue walking up the stream, more glass and stuff all 1800s. I finally found the dump which was well hidden in leaf litter. Pulled out a Warner's Safe Cure in the first few minutes which I figured even the early diggers would have taken. This turned out to be the original dump from the Greek Revival house, dating probably from 1850s till about 1910. This one was way back on the original property line as there was remnants of the old chestnut split rail property line fence near the dump.

There were some pontil shards in here, all broken of course, along with some Ravenna Glass Works flask pieces. Very few slicks and junk bottles here, almost everything was worth taking home. This dump is on the Sharon sandstone with well drained sandy soils which almost always produces stain free bottles. I know that compared to some of the finds I see on here it isn't much,but it's the best dig I have had in years.

Here's a group shot of the take

1211EE065A06442384174A8A97A149FF.jpg

Attachments

• 1211EE065A06442384174A8A97A149FF.jpg
    1211EE065A06442384174A8A97A149FF.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 31

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Poland's White Pine Compound, Gargling Oil, 2 amber druggists: R.W. Walters, M.D./Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and smaller one embossed Dr. Walters, Trasks Magnetic Ointment, Warner's Safe Cure, the cryer of the day, a really nice super crude G.W. Merchant with a missing top, and a aqua unembossed flask

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Close up of the Merchant bottle. i've always wanted one of these but never wanted to pay the asking prices I have seen

B59EA26B29C446F79F8FE0516EC0B7AF.jpg

Attachments

• B59EA26B29C446F79F8FE0516EC0B7AF.jpg
    B59EA26B29C446F79F8FE0516EC0B7AF.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 29

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I'd call that a pretty good day....I like the merchants, even topless I'd have grabbed it too...Good job sniffing out the original dump...The people that dug the later dump heavily must have realized there was an older one somewhere...Oh well....Your gain! Thank for the great post.[;)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter