Lazell's Bicycle Club Bouquet Perfume Bottle Find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score

Hello Everyone...I haven't posted on here for long time...I collect 19th - early 20th century sports display pieces...most all sports from mountaineering to billiards...last few years I've gotten big on early powerboat, motorcycle, and bicycle racing...This Lazell's Bicycle Club Bouquet Perfume Bottle arrived yesterday....I've found two features on-line on the history of the Lazell's concern...see above...However I have not been able to find any reference to the Bicycle Club Bouquet....has anyone seen another example of this bottle?...or know anything more than what's in the links above...I'm hoping for a magazine ad or something to date it by....I would guess it's from about 1890-1910...

Also...Is there anyway to clean the mottling inside the bottle?....I'm considering filling it with water and adding red food dye to make a Ruby Red solution to show it off better...but may not seeing evaporation could escape inside my display cabinet...
-carlton
www.SportsAntiques.com

Bicycle Club Bouquet Bottle.jpg

in lineup (1).jpg

Lazzels Bottle Front T.jpg

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
The only way to correct that permanently is to have the interior tumbled. The inside to the bottle is actually etched. Try lightly swabbing the inside of the bottle. Use just a little bit of gun oil on a rag & a wire (I use stove pipe wire) and just work the oil around the inside. It will hide that etching quite a bit without tumbling.

Reactions: Roy

Roy

Reaction score

Hello Everyone...I haven't posted on here for long time...I collect 19th - early 20th century sports display pieces...most all sports from mountaineering to billiards...last few years I've gotten big on early powerboat, motorcycle, and bicycle racing...This Lazell's Bicycle Club Bouquet Perfume Bottle arrived yesterday....I've found two features on-line on the history of the Lazell's concern...see above...However I have not been able to find any reference to the Bicycle Club Bouquet....has anyone seen another example of this bottle?...or know anything more than what's in the links above...I'm hoping for a magazine ad or something to date it by....I would guess it's from about 1890-1910...

Also...Is there anyway to clean the mottling inside the bottle?....I'm considering filling it with water and adding red food dye to make a Ruby Red solution to show it off better...but may not seeing evaporation could escape inside my display cabinet...
-carlton
www.SportsAntiques.com

View attachment 249872

-carlton
www.SportsAntiques.com

View attachment 249872
View attachment 249873

View attachment 249874
Tumbling the inside only, is super easy for anyone who tumbles bottles, I have one tumbling just the inside right now.

Roy

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score
The only way to correct that permanently is to have the interior tumbled. The inside to the bottle is actually etched. Try lightly swabbing the inside of the bottle. Use just a little bit of gun oil on a rag & a wire (I use stove pipe wire) and just work the oil around the inside. It will hide that etching quite a bit without tumbling.
Thanks Bruce....wow great info....so you apply gun oil lightly...and you leave it in there?...kind at art even getting a swab into it...the pipe cleaner wire sounds good...

So the chemicals in the perfume etched the glass?...

-carlton

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
At first I was suspicious of its authenticity, since acid-etching is a popular method of faking bottles. But after a lot of searching I've changed my mind, I think it's a legit bottle intended to stay in the pharmacy, which the extract would be dispensed from. It's a great find! What convinced me was that I was finally able to find some further proof of Lazell's Bicycle Club Bouquet existing, with this trade card: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/37420947003...F+b9RcyyBeeVQfEUpuzAs+5HKj|tkp:Bk9SR5KPnO_cYg
1696092050954.png

1696092068095.png

Your bottle is probably extremely rare, it doesn't seem like Bicycle Club Bouquet was ever a very popular scent and there wouldn't have been very many of these bulk druggists' bottles made compared to the standard bottles sold to customers. Unfortunately the card doesn't help date it, but I would think you're roughly correct with your date estimate. I'd go with late 19th century for the trade card and it seems unlikely the scent lasted for too long after it was printed, since I can't find anywhere else it shows up. Looks like around that time they were experimenting with scents intended to attract as wide a clientele as possible, there are some incredible names there - I wonder what Knights Templar Bouquet would have smelled like!

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score
At first I was suspicious of its authenticity, since acid-etching is a popular method of faking bottles. But after a lot of searching I've changed my mind, I think it's a legit bottle intended to stay in the pharmacy, which the extract would be dispensed from. It's a great find! What convinced me was that I was finally able to find some further proof of Lazell's Bicycle Club Bouquet existing, with this trade card: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/374209470035?hash=item57209f5e53:g:IxcAAOSwR6ti5~cm&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAsEsvv8MH8cl2sar3Gwubrfvqh+SvKH/kJOauyySh6RW3zEW7aSSIYyI7d93WmmbVSU4oFFdST9+m6PFT5yeY3tW5EEb1tch2MwxifbF1nDOi/bNASV3rLp4LEGPYPHgAwniizpyRPgG0zr8hZn7uxfdeM7qmN94DZ5TMco3DHIsbRpwb5lhqlbaAbAjid7C/Ds/NZwqvR9Gq2WnQBoF+b9RcyyBeeVQfEUpuzAs+5HKj|tkp:Bk9SR5KPnO_cYg
View attachment 249904
View attachment 249905

Your bottle is probably extremely rare, it doesn't seem like Bicycle Club Bouquet was ever a very popular scent and there wouldn't have been very many of these bulk druggists' bottles made compared to the standard bottles sold to customers. Unfortunately the card doesn't help date it, but I would think you're roughly correct with your date estimate. I'd go with late 19th century for the trade card and it seems unlikely the scent lasted for too long after it was printed, since I can't find anywhere else it shows up. Looks like around that time they were experimenting with scents intended to attract as wide a clientele as possible, there are some incredible names there - I wonder what Knights Templar Bouquet would have smelled like!

CanadianBottles Thanks so much for the link to the trade card...I pulled the trigger on that...not only does it reference Bicycle Club, its a v unique cool advertising card in its self....so thanks again...We'll see if it still smells like fresh cut hay when it gets here : - )​

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

CanadianBottles Thanks so much for the link to the trade card...I pulled the trigger on that...not only does it reference Bicycle Club, its a v unique cool advertising card in its self....so thanks again...We'll see if it still smells like fresh cut hay when it gets here : - )​

I had a feeling you might want to add that one to the collection as well! Seemed a little pricey for a trade card but the full list of otherwise unknown scents makes it a lot more interesting than most of this type. I bet Cleopatra would be interested to see this one too, there are a lot listed on the card which she doesn't have on her list, including all the most bizarrely-named scents. Cross referencing against her list I think your bottle may be a bit earlier than you've been thinking as well. I'm guessing around 1885-1890 at this point, since almost all the scents on the card which she has listed are from the earlier period. There are a couple which she has listed as being from the 1910s but I suspect that the dates on those are either incorrect or were re-introduced at a later date.

I'll be curious to hear if the card still smells like fresh cut hay! I doubt it will smell like anything other than mustiness at this point but it would be interesting if it's still got any of the original scent. I never knew that fresh cut hay was used as a perfume at all, I definitely enjoy the smell of a freshly mown lawn but it's not the sort of thing I would think of anyone specifically wanting to smell like themselves.

jgas443

Reaction score
I can confirm this is a legit bottle. I’m the one who dug it in this privy dating to the 1890s. It was dug in South Bend Indiana. I’ve never seen anything like it. Glad that it made it into the hands of a great collector. Regards Jim. Glassaeology!!!

Attachments

• 71198345278__AF883A38-36AF-44CE-8E7E-4B8D6DA57762.jpeg
    71198345278__AF883A38-36AF-44CE-8E7E-4B8D6DA57762.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0107.png
    IMG_0107.png
    2 MB · Views: 63

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members