Lewis Hine Photographs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
RE: When The Bottles Were Young

Eadward Muybridge went to the source for this photograph:

087.jpg

"This picture, taken by [Eadweard] Muybridge, of San Francisco, at Buena Vista Vineyard, Sonoma, California, in the early 1870's, was captioned `Champagne Corking.' It shows a shed where various processes of disgorging, perfecting the fill and recorking were carried on. The man inspecting the labeled bottle is B. E. Auger for many years an officer and trustee of the Buena Vista Vinicultural Society. Wicker baskets shown were woven by Chinese employees of the vineyard society; the finished champagne was packed in them for the market. The box near the disgorging apparatus bears the words, `National Grape' the name of one of Buena Vista's champagnes. The building at the rear of the shed is the brandy distillery operated in conjunction with the winery." Found here, as well.

glass man

Reaction score

NOW THOSE ARE SOME UNREAL,GREAT PICTURES!!! THAT WAS WHEN PICTURE TAKING WAS WORK!!! LOVE ALL THE BOTTLES BEING CORKED! SANITARY? NO ,BUT AFTER A BOTTLE OF THAT STUFF YOU WOULDN'T MINE THE MOUSE AND DIRT AT THE BOTTOM! FAR OUT! NOW THAT WOULD BE A SIT DOWN JOB I COULD DO! "CHAMPAIGNE" BREAK YA'LL! JAMIE

surfaceone

Reaction score

Here's a few more that I was unable to grab:

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1009820092017316787EdHjHvreDr

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1009818170017316787MTJonqdVJF

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1009817987017316787mPACyjdOWD

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1009819986017316787wBmPMwjaep

Can any of you, who are technically adept, tell me how to grab an image like one of these that seemingly has some kinda cyber-cement sticking it to the page? I was able to get a thumbnail, but not the larger image... That 1st one's a pip.

surfaceone

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip Richard. I shoulda prefaced my question by saying I'm a mac guy. That's a pretty nice Windows feature. I'm too dumb for DOS though. Would you demonstrate that move for me, on one of the above images, please.

Can you cut out silhouettes with that? "Very interesting," sez I, in my best
Werner_Klemperer_Klink_screenshot.jpg
accent.

RedGinger

Reaction score

Does he mean cut and paste? I get confused too. We had Macs when I worked at the paper. It's like another language! I love these pictures.

surfaceone

Reaction score

Hey Lauren,

Here's some Philly Privies:
Privies2976%20Emerald.jpg
"Privies at 2976 Emerald Street , 1919
City Archives of Philadelphia" Found here.

privyfinished.JPG
You might wanna visit this plsce for quite a bit more on the subject.

surfaceone

Reaction score

Hello Richard,

Nicely done, sir!
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

I'd have to go back to the reeducation camp to do that. Either that. or find the manual. Would that I could find the clippers on this old mac.

RedGinger

Reaction score

These are excellent photos. Keep 'em coming! Those Philly privies remind me of a show I watched last night on the Discovery channel, called "Skeleton Stories". People renovating a Philadelphia rowhouse found an infant's coffin in the basement. Forensic anthropologists were called in to solve the mystery. I won't give away the story in case anyone wants to watch the show. Needless to say, colonial America was a hard life! It's so awesome to think about what is under our streets and really anywhere you go. From dinosaur bones, to coffins, to bottles, history is everywhere, just not always visible.

One last interesting aside: I remember living in NH when they were building some condos or something. Under the street was an unmarked 1700's African American cemetery. I don't mean to take away from this post, I just enjoy these stories and thought others would too. Again, these photos are a lot of fun and fascninating.

surfaceone

Reaction score

187.jpg

"Text on back of picture: Orange County Brewery.
Note: The Orange County Brewery at the end of Lake Avenue opposite Davidge Park baseball field, Middletown, NY, was built in 1897, beginning production the same year." From here.

188.jpg

"Text on back of picture: Circa 1915. Orange County Brewery truck in front of brewery on Lake Avenue.
Note: The Brewery's product won a Bronze Medal at the Paris Exposition before the turn of the century." From here.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen