Lightning jars and other info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score

Great site for history and idea on canning and related topics

Sent with smiles Steph

sandchip

Reaction score
Thanks, Stephanie. The only thing that I saw needing some clarification was the part under Age, "Seams along the entire side, from bottom to top, mean the jar was made by a machine, probably after 1915." This can be misleading because on jars blown by hand in a full height blowback mold, the seams or mold lines run all the way to the top and the very top edge is ground. You might enjoy looking at some of the jars here which will show the various mouth finishes found on fruit jars:

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I'll see if I can add a suggestion to their page maybe.

Sent with smiles Steph

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score
Thanks, Stephanie. The only thing that I saw needing some clarification was the part under Age, "Seams along the entire side, from bottom to top, mean the jar was made by a machine, probably after 1915." This can be misleading because on jars blown by hand in a full height blowback mold, the seams or mold lines run all the way to the top and the very top edge is ground. You might enjoy looking at some of the jars here which will show the various mouth finishes found on fruit jars:

That link took me to an auction site, I registered but was unable to see anything other than upcoming lots. Did I do something wrong?

Sent with smiles Steph

sandchip

Reaction score
Did you try clicking on "Closed auctions"? Just checked and that worked for me. Looks like there's one auction per page. Click on the auction name, not the pictures. Let me know if that works.

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score
Did you try clicking on "Closed auctions"? Just checked and that worked for me. Looks like there's one auction per page. Click on the auction name, not the pictures. Let me know if that works.
No, I don't think I had that option at the time I registered. Got a email saying my account was active yesterday so maybe I needed that to see those options. I'll check it out in a bit, thank you

Sent with smiles Steph

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger