Local Embossed Sodas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
Here are two embossed sodas from my neck of the woods. The first is a Rube Ullrich Coke from the 20s. The second one is from F. Hayes White. The White bottle is very hard to find. There was at least one other bottler from Lewistown by the name of Frank H. Wentz. I dug a broken one of his once [:mad:] but still need a good one. Has anyone seen any other Lewistown, PA bottlers? Jim

Bz78566.jpg

Jim

Reaction score
Here's a close-up of the embossing on the White bottle:

Us52954.jpg

Attachments

• Us52954.jpg
    Us52954.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 77

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Jim -

The 1925 Universal Bottlers Encyclopedia has one listing for Lewistown - Norman J. Ullrich at 36 W. Market Square - safe bet to say he was related to Rube Ullrich for sure.

Later - Sam

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks, Sam. That's really cool, I had never heard of Norman before. It is likely that he would have been a relative, perhaps Rube's son who took over the business after him. Ullrich is not a common name around here.

The other two bottlers, White and Wentz, may have been earlier if they are not in the 1925 book. I'm not good at dating soda bottles, but the White bottle appears to be older than the Ullrich Cokes. Thanks again for the info. I love this hobby, there's always something to learn! Jim

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Jim, isn't Huntingdon PA near Lewistown? My great great grandfather was from that area. I have a ACL soda, Johnston Beverages from Huntington, PA. If you would like a pic I'll post it.

Lee

Jim

Reaction score
Hello Lee, Huntingdon is about 40 minutes from Lewistown. I've never seen a Johnston's bottle, if you want to post a pic, that would be great. Thanks, Jim

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Here it is Jim. I think it is interesting how Beverages is not centered. Being an old printer/proof reader I notice those things. I got this bottle in Altoona, PA about three years ago. I was told by someone it is a tough bottle to find. I have never been out in your area but my great-great grandfather lived in Lewistown he is suspose to be berried there. My great grandfather lived in Hundingdon and move to Altoona at the turn of the century to work for the railroad. Atoona is where my grandfather and father were born. As for me, my dad moved out t California after WW II, I was born and raised and raised my kids in the land of fruit and nuts until 4 years ago when I moved to Florida. Still have relitives in central PA.

Lee

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28