Hutch Soda: H. G. Meumann Bessemer Ala

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

elliott 123

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can enlighten me on this little hutch soda? It's 6 1/2 inches tall, has wear, and is light aqua. Thanks for any info.

Embossed on front in inset circle: H G MEUMANN / BESSEMER / ALA
Embossed on back at base: D.O.C.
No other markings found.
20230831_173334.jpg

20230831_174212.jpg

This one below from Thomas C. Lines Alabama's Pre-Crown Top Drink Bottles 1840-1915 is the closest I can find. There is evidently no D.O.C. at the base on the example he illustrates. Or if there is, he doesn't mention it. Is mine the same bottle as BE-5a*
1693520659969.png

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
BE-5a sez loop seal which is different then your Hutch. Sometimes they can be the same shape as a hutch but just slightly different at top & did not close or contain a Hutchinson Stopper but a Baltimore Loop Seal Stopper instead. LEON.

elliott 123

Reaction score
BE-5a sez loop seal which is different then your Hutch. Sometimes they can be the same shape as a hutch but just slightly different at top & did not close or contain a Hutchinson Stopper but a Baltimore Loop Seal Stopper instead. LEON.
Thanks Leon. How do you account for variants? Mine is exactly 6 1/2 inches tall but it has D.O.C. on the back near the base. I see on the Hutchbook.com site, they have AL038 H G MEUMANN / BESSEMER / ALA that seems to be similar? That one has the DOC on the back at the base, but it is listed as 6.375 in tall.

I seem to have a lot of variants - ones that almost match a listed example but not quite. Mine either have a different mark on the bottom of lack one of the markings noted in the description. Many are not listed at all in either Thomas C. Lines Alabama's Pre-Crown Top Drink Bottles 1840-1915 or on the Hutchbook.com site. At least not exactly.

For example AL049 Alabama Bottling Works - my example is the same size with the same slugplate marking in the same format as the one listed at Hutchbook.com. Mine also has "THE LIQUID" embossed on the bottom but mine also has a number (presumably 11966 but it could be 99611) on the bottom. The example at Hutchbook.com has THIS BOTTLE / NOT TO BE SOLD / 9011. on the back. Mine has all of that, but not the 9011.

I'm assuming mine is a variant that has not been recorded?

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Thanks Leon. How do you account for variants? Mine is exactly 6 1/2 inches tall but it has D.O.C. on the back near the base. I see on the Hutchbook.com site, they have AL038 H G MEUMANN / BESSEMER / ALA that seems to be similar? That one has the DOC on the back at the base, but it is listed as 6.375 in tall.

I seem to have a lot of variants - ones that almost match a listed example but not quite. Mine either have a different mark on the bottom of lack one of the markings noted in the description. Many are not listed at all in either Thomas C. Lines Alabama's Pre-Crown Top Drink Bottles 1840-1915 or on the Hutchbook.com site. At least not exactly.

For example AL049 Alabama Bottling Works - my example is the same size with the same slugplate marking in the same format as the one listed at Hutchbook.com. Mine also has "THE LIQUID" embossed on the bottom but mine also has a number (presumably 11966 but it could be 99611) on the bottom. The example at Hutchbook.com has THIS BOTTLE / NOT TO BE SOLD / 9011. on the back. Mine has all of that, but not the 9011.

I'm assuming mine is a variant that has not been recorded?

Ron from Hutchbook & me would not consider a Bottle that is 6 1/2" tall & another is 6.375 tall as different or different variant. the only difference is 1/8". which would be to small to consider different in my opinion. Plus with people giving him those measurements most times it would be easier for someone to round it off or to be off by a 1/8". could be a + or- of a 1/8" on some of those bottles listed. I would consider that Alabama Pre Crown book far from complete from what I noticed because it didn't even have any Scottsboro Bottles or Bottling works listed for Scottsboro? It day say it may suspect some may exist from Scottsboro. Possible/probably your bottle with the 11966 or 99611 would be considered different then what he has listed, but sometimes the info supplied to him could be misread, to hard to read & just a guess. Any Hutch Bottle you have you do not see listed on his site you should notify him & send him pics of it so it can be documented. Just because a Bottle missing from his Hutchbook website doesn't always mean it must be rare. some are but some aint, some just common over looked. I probably had him update his site 100 times with the 100 pics I sent him of my Michigan Hutches (and others) not listed on his site. LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen