Local Stoneware Bowl

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Jim
Great piece there . My second most favorite to inks is stone ware .Love the stamp and as cap said great for local history .Theres some nice pieces from around here but there priced way over my head and I can't seam to dig anything other than pieces .Great one way to go.
bill

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks, Star and Bill. There are a lot of local stoneware pieces that are WAY out of my price range, so I like to pick up what I can when a good deal presents itself. There is a killer Lewistown Pottery decorated jug on eBay right now, but I doubt that I will end up with that one (this time) [>:]. Lewistown Pottery was the predecessor to J.H. Dipple, and their pieces are very early. I do have a nice 1-gallon Lewistown Pottery crock, and had the privilege of pulling another one out of a pit. My digging partner got that one, but I was fortunate to find another one just like it that I was able to buy.

I love all kinds of early stoneware and ceramics, but the local historical appeal of the Lewistown Pottery and Dipple family pieces make them my favorites. ~Jim

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
hi Jim,

thanx for sharing your recent addition. i'm wondering how you date this piece to early 1900's? is it the combed bottom? i would have thought this piece to be older............... just trying to learn something here. thanx again.

jim

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. Lewistown-made pottery pieces can be dated by the different potter's marks. Lewistown Pottery is the earliest, dating in the 1840s and 50s. J.H. Dipple pieces date from about 1852 to the later part of the 1800s. Then came A.M. Dipple, and finally A.G.C. Dipple, who made hand-thrown pieces until the 1930s. I have the exact dates of these potter's marks somewhere, I'll try to remember to post them. Some of these pieces can look a lot older than they are. ~Jim

I found it- The A.G.C. Dipple stamp was used from 1906 to 1929.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen