Looking for Anything from Paris, Tennessee

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cj4258

Reaction score
Love the forum! Will share some of my humble collection one day when I can get good light for pictures.

Looking for anything from Paris, Tennessee and the surrounding area. Bottles, crocks, postcards, letterhead, correspondence, photos, anything.

Thanks.

FIGGINS DIGGINS

Reaction score
I picked these up for a friend of Mine. Just wondering if you had all these yet. I can get another of the J.P. Haynes Paris bottles and another of the taller aqua slug in center of picture if you need them. I think I talked to you before, but do you live in Paris? If you do we need to get together for a dig sometime. I am not terribly far from Paris, here in Humboldt.

Dan

D717948D3C654BED8BF7B11559C2B357.jpg

Attachments

• D717948D3C654BED8BF7B11559C2B357.jpg
    D717948D3C654BED8BF7B11559C2B357.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 134

cj4258

Reaction score
Nice group! I'm not sure that we have talked before. I unfortunately do not live in Paris but I am from there and would give anything to live there. I'm in Nashville and get back to Paris about once a month if I'm lucky. I would love to dig with you sometime if we could orchestrate it - but I warn you, I've never done it before.

You'll have to excuse me, I can't quite read all of the bottles in your picture...

Just got two more nice examples of the tall Paris Bottling Company bottles this last week from a guy in Murray, KY, taking me up to three of that one. I also have an assortment of the PBW Haynes bottles (SO many different slug designs for that company) but I don't think I have them all. I recognize the one second to the left as one I have but the one on the left I don't think I have.

Is that an Electro Cola bottle second from the right? And is that a Paris Bottling Company bottle on the right?

FIGGINS DIGGINS

Reaction score
Hey, yeah, I looked back through my emails and we had talked a little. those are an electro cola and another paris slug on right. How many different versions are there of the Haynes slug? Would like to see a picture of yours if you get a chance.

If I happen to get a dig together I will be sure to touch base with you.

do you have any Martin slugs or any other small town west tenn slugs?

Talk to you later.

Dan

cj4258

Reaction score
I don't have much from west Tennessee other than the Paris stuff. I recently purchased a really nice West Tennessee Wholesale Grocery Co. bottle on ebay but know little about the company. No town on it, just a slug with the company name. Read somewhere that the company may have been in Dyersburg. Know anything on that?

I have a small number of Nashville sodas; one nice Pat.D coke hobbleskirt from Covington, TN; an amber bottle from Jackson that says "Electro Brand" in script along the heel (pretty clueless on that one too); and two amber Gay-Ola bottles from Memphis.

When I'm in Paris or the surrounding area and scoping antique shops and flea markets, I see plenty of other west Tennessee stuff that I'd really like to have, but I spend way too much on Paris stuff as it is. I'd be hopelessly broke if I bought everything I wanted. Passed up a couple Martin ACLs in a McKenzie shop last week, but they were nothing spectacular.

If I don't have that Haynes slug second from the left, that would probably be the fourth slug type I've seen. I'll get mine together for a few pictures soon.

Let me know what the seller wants for the Haynes they still have. Since I've got three of the tall Paris Bottling Co bottles, I think I should skip that one unless its a really nice one.

Have you ever seen a slug for Lasater Bros. Bottling Works from Paris? Not branded with Electro Cola - just a slug. I've found one so far and I think they are even rarer than the Electro Cola bottles everyone wants. My great-aunt and uncle live in the old Lasater home in Paris and they run their auto paint business out of the building where, I'm told, the bottling works was located.

cj4258

Reaction score
These are all of the J. P. Haynes / Paris Bottling Works slugs I have and all I've seen so far.

Top left: "Registered" along shoulder, "This bottle is not sold" along heel on slug side, "and must be returned" along heel on back side, "P. B. W." on bottom. No other date or maker's marks.
Top middle: "6 1/2 Flu. Ozs." along heel on slug side, "P. B. W." on bottom (small "B" above PBW, and "1" below it, not sure what that means)
Top right: "Registered" along shoulder, "This bottle is not sold" along heel on slug side, "and must be returned" along heel on back side, "P. B. W." on bottom. No other date or maker's marks.
Bottom left: "6 1/2 Flu. Ozs." along heel on slug side, "28 EP R" along heel on back side, "P. B. W." on bottom.
Bottom middle: "6 1/2 Flu. Ozs." along heel on slug side ("3227A" below "6 1/2", "Root" below "Flu." and "22" below and to right of "Ozs."), "P. B. W." on bottom
Bottom right: "6 1/2 Flu. Ozs." along heel on slug side, "P. B. W." on bottom (small "B" above PBW, and "1" below it, not sure what that means)

Top left and top right are essentially the same plate, but with some small differences in lettering shape and size. Bottom left compares with these two, but the plate is bigger and is missing fluid ounces mention above "Paris, Tenn."

Top middle and bottom right are the same, I can't see any huge differences. Bottom middle is pretty much the same as these two as well, but with the differences in lettering shape and size as seen before and "Root" embossed on its heel, as it is not on the top middle and bottom right.

They all are laid out the same way, but with subtle differences. One could argue that there are two (if you count content alone), three (if you count content and slug size) or four (if you count subtle differences in lettering style) different slug plates in my herd here.

8E7C0B899B554855BC9A38815E61D4CB.jpg

Attachments

• 8E7C0B899B554855BC9A38815E61D4CB.jpg
    8E7C0B899B554855BC9A38815E61D4CB.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 113

cj4258

Reaction score
Here's my West Tennessee Grocery and my Lasater Bros. bottles. I'm a little proud of them. =)

C75D7749B8FD4C75B8ABE14878C6AA83.jpg

Attachments

• C75D7749B8FD4C75B8ABE14878C6AA83.jpg
    C75D7749B8FD4C75B8ABE14878C6AA83.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 124

FIGGINS DIGGINS

Reaction score
VERY NICE!!! I was also wondering about hutches from Paris. Do you have an idea how many different style hutches hail from Paris?

Dan

cj4258

Reaction score
I've never seen a hutch from Paris, but I've done a lot of wondering about it though. I met one guy last weekend that's dug on and off for years in Paris and I'm pretty sure he said he's never seen a Paris hutch.

There's got to be some out there though.

Lasater Brothers are reported to have the first "bottling works" in Paris (not sure of a date yet but I'm working on it), but a couple clay/pottery works were well-established in the county by then. I really wonder about smaller stoneware being the missing link, along with hutches sometimes.

cj4258

Reaction score
Figgins, any luck finding any other Haynes Paris Bottling Works bottles?

I might be getting to Paris in a couple weeks making some purchases.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl