LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mctrekell

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!
I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My mom's family lives in Louisville. I'm currently doing the family genealogy. My great-great grandpa was John Bossmeyer. I was goofing off and put his name in the computer and bingo, I found out that not only was he a brewer (which I knew) but he had his own beer bottle.
Is there anyone in Louisville that would be willing to take me on a dig? You can keep all the bottles that we find. I'd just like the opportunity to find and keep one of my grandpa's bottles.
I dig arrowheads in Oklahoma so I'm no stranger to getting dirty. Please let me know. I will be in Louisville July 25-Aug 08.
Thank you!!!
Mary

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Mary,
Welcome. Glad to have you aboard. I am not from the KY and I don't have any of your grandfather's bottles. I do think that it is a neat little quest and maybe (just maybe) it could start you in collecting other Louisville bottles, then KY bottles, then Oklahoma bottles. You never know. Good luck on your quest!

mctrekell

Reaction score
Thank you Bob-
I appreciate the welcome. I'm hoping that I can find a Bossmeyer bottle. I've dug for nearly everything else, so bottles wouldn't be a big leap. I just understand how hard it is for a collector to give up a location of a "honey hole". I feel the same way about my arrowheads. I'm just hoping that someone sees this post and I get a chance to look. Thanks again.
Mary

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Mary,

Welcome to the forum. I'm gonna put up the photos I found on The Southeast Bottle Club Site:
BossMeyer.jpg
BossMeyer.jpg
"Amber 9½" smooth based beer bottle embossed JOHN BOSSMEYER / LOUISVILLE KY. sold $393 on eBay by grotzbotz." From.

There's one that Indianabottledigger found last August:
BDC3C4A687CB4457AAF985CDEA5B950E.jpg
found @ https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-267065/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm

Good luck on your quest. Perhaps one of the Kentucky members can offer more information.

dandridgecover.jpg

jays emporium

Reaction score
Well, Mary, the chance of you digging up one of those bottles in Louisville seems like about a million to one. The chance of finding one to buy seems reasonable though since there are 2 of the bottles pictured here, there are surely more out there.

mctrekell

Reaction score
Thank you surfaceone for the pictures and the information. I didn't know who had found the bottle.
Thank you jaysemporium. I've been looking and also have an uncle in Louisville that goes to flea markets and antique stores. We just haven't found any.
Mary

bottlechaser62

Reaction score
Hi Mary,
I live here in Louisville but I dont have any prospects on a dump or privy. Keep in mind that your bottle may pop up anywhere and not just here in KY. When I was a teenager, I was down in Paris Texas digging an old outhouse on my uncle's propery and found 4 whiskey bottles from Louisville (Bonnie Brothers, John Paul Jones four roses, and Foreman distilleries). These bottles made their way all over the place. The odds of me finding one of those Bossmeyers is pretty slim but I will keep an eye for that name and will certainly let you know if I come across one for sale. Good Luck!!

mctrekell

Reaction score
Thank you Bottlechaser 62. The extra pair of eyes is always welcome. I certainly appreciate it. Oh, I understand that they could show up anywhere. My uncle is looking for a map of Louisville 1880 to see where the dumps were, in the area that my family lived. Perhaps a land owner will allow me to look around if I find one. I don't know what the plumbing was like "in the big city" in 1880 and if they had outhouses but I am looking into that as well. Thank you again.
Mary

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello FORUM members; Now this exhibit of purpose is just plain exciting. What a way to support the hobby. "Thanks" is all I can add. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey