LYONS POWDERS and similar shaped INSECT POWDERS!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pupman

Reaction score
Always looking for LYON"S POWDER BOTTLES and similar shaped insect powders for my personal collection as well as for future book on insect powders. Especially interested in large sizes and odd colors, also new companies or variations of existing ones that I may not know about. Also happy to correspond about anything pertaining to Lyon's Powders and competitors! If you are thinking of listing on e-bay check with me first and I may be able to save you the time and trouble. If you view the quick picture I took you will get an idea of the array of colors, sizes and variations that these little gems come in and please note-it is by no means complete! Maybe you can help me out. Please forgive the umbrella inks-I am in the process of having another case made and running out of room.Please contact me on the forum or by e-mail . bigdoglover@optonline.net Thank you for your time and help,Kev

Attachments

• e42b7ecf3870498fb9b26501dfeaa946.jpg
    e42b7ecf3870498fb9b26501dfeaa946.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 88
  • adbfa3ef78f646968a5824e409c4f094.jpg
    adbfa3ef78f646968a5824e409c4f094.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 91

botlguy

Reaction score
Personally I would need a bit more education in order to help much. I am very familiar with the LYON'S powder but unless they are embossed with something that identifies it as insect powder I wouldn't know.I would totally enjoy helping you add examples, perhaps you can give us a close up example of the styles you are looking for. I know I used to pick for a guy who collected U.D.Co. bottles and items and they could be identified by the shape of the bottle. Easy to spot! That's the type of thing I need. I may have some in my collection of "Littles" and don't know it. Jim

pupman

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, I remember you from years ago the WAW-WAW man! These insect powder bottles are really easy to identify as they are all pretty much the same shape and the common size is 4 1/4" average but smaller and much larger examples exist! The larger cities usually had the most(and the most bugs) but you'll never know where you will find them. I've include another picture ,hope it helps, the upcoming Antique bottle & Glass Collector magazine will have my article on Lyon's Powders and hopefully will answer many questions about these superb and interesting bottles. Thank you for thinking of me,Kev(PUP)

Attachments

• 398e0fd610c64ca4b1f3d849730443b8.jpg
    398e0fd610c64ca4b1f3d849730443b8.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 96

botlguy

Reaction score
Thanks for remembering me also. So,,, from what I see it is likely the cone shape shoulder treatment that is distinctive, at least in part. I'll look and see if I have anything, but my "Littles" tend to be shorter, 3 1/2" tall or less. I shoot for 2 1/2" or shorter. 1/2 ounce embossed pharmacies are my primary target right now. Anyway, didn't mean to jump the thread. Good Luck. Jim

pupman

Reaction score
Once you see a bug powder in the Lyons type it's hard to mistake one again. The most common color , as with many bottles is probably aqua but not in Lyon's powders themselves, Lyon's competitors used this color more frequently. Actually , amber is the most common color for smooth base Lyon's powders while aqua is quite rare! At any rate most , but not all usually said insect powder, roach powder,destroyer etc. but in some cases such as John F.Henry/N.Y. there was nothing in the embossing alluding to it being a bug powder but that familiar shape usually gives them away. Emanuel Lyon started this type of bottle off and quickly, many competitors jumped on the bandwagon. This might be too much information but I hope it helps! Kev

glass man

Reaction score
I saw an amber BED BUG KILLER from JACOBS PHARMACY..at the ROME SHOW last SAT. $1600 ! In the 90's I could have bought one for $100,but didn't have the money..The person ended up selling it for $1800 It was mint. Do you have one of these KEVIN?[:mad:] HOPE YOU ARE DOING GREAT!! JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin