MacGills Baltimore Co. Md.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
Came across a 1/2 gal bottle that looked like a Buffalo Girl today but wasn't. It is embossed MacGills (the s being underscored) / Strontia Mineral Water / Baltimore Co. Md. Looks like a picture of a building embossed between the lettering. Condisering picking it up but it's not from my neck of the woods, anybody know the history of this operation?
Thanks~ BH

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Buffalo Hunter,

It was first choice from the 1901 Astor House Luncheon Menu.

27scapes_lg.jpg

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
I wonder if they settled for that because they couldn't get Buffalo Lithia Water? (toungue firmly in cheek)

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
Now that's a pleasant surprise, I checked the Bay but couldn't find any listings. It'll be next week or maybe the week after before I find myself in that area again. Condition wise it needed washing but I'm sure it has a light over all stain, hard to determine with all the surface dirt. The only other item I remember was a small flat chip off the top of the lip. I'm guessing $25-35 for a fair price?

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
I've a few spare minutes and just found this mention in Google books: The only mineral spring of Maryland reporting sales of the water is Strontia mineral spring Brooklandville Baltimore county. I'm thinking the book is late 1880's.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Buffalo Hunter,

"Maryland Mineral Spring Resorts. -- Maryland has five mineral spring resorts, all worthy of attention, but none known to any great extent outside the State. These are the Strontia Springs, 9 miles from Baltimore; Bentley's Springs, in Baltimore County; Chattolbanee Springs in the same county; Flint Stone Springs, 12 miles from Cumberland, and Mardela Springs 12 miles from Salisbury. The waters of Mardela Springs have long enjoyed a reputation for curative effects in anemia, dyspepsia, cystitis and in the functional pelvic disorders orders of women. It is a chalybeate water with strong trace of arsenious acid." The Chicago Clinic, 1906.

I wanna see a bottle from Flint Stone Springs, me.

"Strontia Mineral Spring Brooklandvllle, Baltimore Couuty 50 I do Used commercially." USGS Survey, 1898.

Macgill is an historic name in Maryland. Haven't tracked them to the springs yet, however.

8am201.jpg
McGill, who went the other way...

waskey

Reaction score
The MacGills is a good bottle. I recall only seeing two of them in person before. There were a good number of different spring water companies around the Baltimore area in the early 1900s and the bottles from many of those different companies are pretty scarce. I would say value around $35, could be more, could be less. The last rare Baltimore spring water bottle I have seen sold for about $50 on ebay.

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
I passed back through the town late today and made my offer, the seller said he had a better offer so I moved along. Thanks for the replies, here's a pic I took before I left. The bottle was older than I first thought, I think closer to 1880's.

208C00107E934D28AFF60A961F87CED6.jpg

Attachments

• 208C00107E934D28AFF60A961F87CED6.jpg
    208C00107E934D28AFF60A961F87CED6.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members