Make it Schnappy, Herr Russ

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
nice find, might be worth enough to fill up you tank twice, or 3 times. I'd go back & look for more. LEON.

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your comments. Attached now are images after washing, and here is a video link --

-- all.....
Russ's, cleaned, face 1.jpg
Russ's, cleaned, face 2.jpg
Russ's, cleaned, face 3.jpg
Russ's, cleaned, face 4.jpg
Russ's, cleaned, neck and top.jpg
Russ's, cleaned, base.jpg
after simply washing with water. No chips. Tiny bubbles everywhere. For the record, it measures 7 3/4 inches in height. It is surprisingly light -- weight is 266.1 grams = 9.39 ounces. Perhaps this is not unusual, but it seems quite thin-walled to me. I suppose, since shipped from NY, weight might have been an issue, to be balanced against fragility? Square shape packs well, more bottles per crate. Would it have come overland? -- I think not, rather shipped around the Horn, into San Francisco.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
That's a Gangs of New York era bottle right there. Open pontils were really getting phased out starting in the 1850's so it's most likely pre-civil war. Only found one intact pontil bottle from that era and it's my avatar pic.

There was no transcontinental railroad yet nor Panama canal so that bottle had to have come either around the southern tip of South America via steam/sailing ship or over land by ox cart on the Oregon Trail.

Jake2150

Reaction score
Seedy crude glass, open pontil, color. Awesome Bottle!

hemihampton

Reaction score
This Bottle Book gives it a Price of $150-$200 but the one in book not pontiled, yours being older pontiled would be worth more. LEON.

RussSchnapps.JPG

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Looks like an absolutely top notch example as well as being a fairly rare bottle. I don't know if they blew them at Stoddard but the color and the crudity with a million bubbles could certainly be a Stoddard make piece.

Jim G

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis