mason jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

aa4200

Reaction score
found mason jar nov.30 1858 pint amber ground top the s in {mason} is backwards any info

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Yes, a pic of the jar would be very helpful. Amber is a good color. If your jar is a "midget" ..with a smaller than usual mouth, that is even better!

sweetrelease

Reaction score
you will need to post a pic of this jar. it sounds as if the jar might be real , BUT there are many "fakes" out there. these damn jars are hard to tell if they are real or not. if i had it in my hands and looked it over ,it would be much easyer. thanks ~matt

junkyard jack

Reaction score
Really need to see a picture of this jar.
In RB#10 there are no reproduction 1858 jars listed with a backwards "S"
Also there are no legit amber 1858 jars listed with a backwards "S"
Does this jar have a "trademark" symbol between "Mason's" & "Patent" or is it just a plain 1858?
Is there anything embossed on the base of the jar?
A picture is worth a thousand words

junkyard jack

Reaction score
If the jar is a reproduction it should have one of the following mold numbers embossed on the base:
#971 if it is a "midget" style jar (1970's reproduction)
#46 if it is a "midget" style jar (modern reproduction)
#44 if it is a regular size mouth jar (modern reproduction)

junkyard jack

Reaction score
I'm very curious about this jar. Any original amber 1858 mason is a very good jar, or this one is an unlisted reproduction jar. ??? I really hope he/she posts a picture of it. Would also like to know where it was found, as this could also help ID it.

jimsears

Reaction score
The backwards S variation of the amber midget is listed on page 454 of Red Book 10 as a reproduction with a value of $75 to $100. The listing says that this jar should have mold number 971 on the base, but I have found that the mold numbers are not always legible on these reproduction jars. A more reliable way to distinguish these particular midgets as reproductions is that they have 3 equally spaced mold seams, while all 19th Century Mason jars came from 2 piece molds.

Jim Sears

junkyard jack

Reaction score
Boy, I know I must be getting old. I looked at that page numerous times & didn't see that listed.[:eek:]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide