metal removal

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

odditysteve

Reaction score
I have a nice aqua blue soda bottle that when i cleaned up, i found that it wasnt a glob of gunk in the bottom it was a 2.5 inch long 1 inch wide chunk of rusted iron or other ferric metal. any ideas on how to remove without destroying the bottle.

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Hi: Odditysteve. Obviously this metal strip had to originally go into the bottle but it is now probably very brittle and rigid. It would have had to flex to cup itself and clear the neck of the bottle but now it is probably not going to flex so you may have to press on it inside the bottle with a dowell or something like that to bend or break it into more malleable pieces that you could fish out in some fashion. Patients is a virtue (probably spelled it wrong here, but the kind of Patients where time is not such a big thing, not the doctor and patients thing) Anyway, give it time and you will succeed. There are a number of corrosives that you could use but I would probably stay away from that unless your familiar with those chemicals. Best of luck: Tim

odditysteve

Reaction score
Thank you Joe, It looks like you might be in the same neck of the woods as me, where did you get the acid? might not be too far for me to go pick some up.

odditysteve

Reaction score
Cowseatmaize, its not a hutch, although i wish it was. its a late 1800's crown top. pretty typical bottle, i think what happened is some screws or nails, other small iron pieces fuzed together in the bottom.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thank you Joe, It looks like you might be in the same neck of the woods as me, where did you get the acid?
Just about any hardware store has it. They also make an enviro friendly mix. I never tried that.
With muratic be sure to use it in a well ventilated area. The stuff will toast your lungs.

odditysteve

Reaction score
cool, i have a good sized garage to use for that. not really a fan of working in this cold but what the heck, bottles dont clean themselves.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: odditysteve

cool, i have a good sized garage to use for that. not really a fan of working in this cold but what the heck, bottles dont clean themselves.
I'd put some Muriatic acid in it in a bucket and set it outside the garage with a lid made of plywood and a weight on top, don't leave it in the garage if you can help it, make sure to use rubber gloves and have a bucket of water to put the bottle in after you let the acid do it's work. Be careful on disposing the acid afterwards...Jim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles