Milk Bottle Dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Got out Yesterday with a local Buddy & poked around 2 old Houses. one occupied with Permission from 1886. did not find much. Then a 1873 Abandoned House. Might of found a small privy or trash pit with only 2 lame bottles from the 1920's. SO, we moved on to my old Milk Bottle Dump. One I found about 10+ years ago. only lightly dug it twice, the last time maybe 5+years ago. This time we dug 2 big holes into bottom of Hillside. Must of Found 100's of these Milks. Only Problem is every Bottle had Damage, Most Major Damage. 99% of these bottles had the top broken off. This Dairy must of dumped/discarded all there unusable damaged Bottles down this Hillside. We found 10 with the tops but still with either holes, huge chunks missing, huge chips in lips. only 2 Quarts displayed good from the front with a big chip in back or side. BUT, The good news the Pint Bottle is not listed in any of the Michigan Milks Books, Not even the newer updated Michigan Milk Books, So Possibly a new unknown size. LEON.

JamesPic2.jpeg
JamesPic4.jpeg
LocustHillQuart.JPG
LocustHillPint2.JPG

willong

Reaction score
Got out Yesterday with a local Buddy & poked around 2 old Houses. one occupied with Permission from 1886. did not find much. Then a 1873 Abandoned House. Might of found a small privy or trash pit with only 2 lame bottles from the 1920's. SO, we moved on to my old Milk Bottle Dump. One I found about 10+ years ago. only lightly dug it twice, the last time maybe 5+years ago. This time we dug 2 big holes into bottom of Hillside. Must of Found 100's of these Milks. Only Problem is every Bottle had Damage, Most Major Damage. 99% of these bottles had the top broken off. This Dairy must of dumped/discarded all there unusable damaged Bottles down this Hillside. We found 10 with the tops but still with either holes, huge chunks missing, huge chips in lips. only 2 Quarts displayed good from the front with a big chip in back or side. BUT, The good news the Pint Bottle is not listed in any of the Michigan Milks Books, Not even the newer updated Michigan Milk Books, So Possibly a new unknown size. LEON.

View attachment 241412View attachment 241413View attachment 241414View attachment 241415

I've never known the location of a bottling company's dump that I could access; but I was always skeptical of the value of digging such a site because I figured a bottling company would only discard their rejects*. Your experience seems to confirm my theory.

On the other hand, I saw a report of diggers who dug a soda works' dump and found several good bottles--it seems, in that case at least, that competitor's bottles ended up among the bottles returned to the company for refilling and were discarded when the fact was discovered.

* Looks like a lot of those rejects would make nice drink tumblers.

Last edited:

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Hemi,
Congrats on another superior effort and that one unique find.

Will,
Sometimes theories play out. Sometimes they don't. How long do they get to remain a theory? --Until one has a sufficient number of test cases?

hemihampton

Reaction score
I found what I think was a Bottlers reject pile of broken Bottles once before. Found way back around 2005. Same thing, Hundreds of Bottles of A.R. Andrews from Detroit, 99% with broken off tops or in pieces, BUT, Was maybe 1% with no broken tops or damage. What you can't see in the first & last pic is that's about 3 feet deep of Bottles. LEON.

P1110782.JPG
GlassLayer.JPG
glasspile2.JPG
glasspile.JPG

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hemi,
You are so cool for this school. Needless to say you could teach your own field class, but they would only slow you up. :cool:
Thanks again for sharing.

willong

Reaction score
Hey Hemi,
Congrats on another superior effort and that one unique find.

Will,
Sometimes theories play out. Sometimes they don't. How long do they get to remain a theory? --Until one has a sufficient number of test cases?
Aw, you got me Len. It seems that I misspoke: I should have said an hypothesis--a couple more experimental confirmations and it might evolve to theory status!

Reactions: Roy

willong

Reaction score
The Milk Book Listing. No Locust Hill Farms Pint Listed. Hmmm? LEON.

View attachment 241466
As one who prefers Half & Half in my coffee, or even drenching an occasional bowl of cereal, I found it interesting to see Guernsey and Jersey milks were featured on the bottle advertising. People might have died younger back then, but at least they didn't drink chalky water and call it milk!

Reactions: Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
For the record, I started drinking coffee black. Maxwell House, at 13 (On TR's recommendation)..Then after a decade or so, for most of my life, just with milk and sugar. In the last couple of years I've added half + half, and flavoring, Splenda brand --(NO High Fructose Corn Syrup).

You're right Will, I fondly remember whole milk, still eat a ton of cereal, but want to live longer than my predecessors--I'm ok with the 2%.

Last edited:

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Aw, you got me Len. It seems that I misspoke: I should have said an hypothesis--a couple more experimental confirmations and it might evolve to theory status!
Will,
At this time of night, that is perfectly fine with me. o_O :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu