Modern-esque? coca-cola bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Slappy_Kincaid

Reaction score
It looks brand new. It's heavy, and it has that green tint. 61/2 oz. But it has that indentation at the bottom, but it's not round, it's square, or more like a sideways slice of cake. Is that something that is still used? Did this bottle get thrown in the mix by accident? Also, when did the dent at the bottom "go out of style?" Thanks.

Slappy_Kincaid

Reaction score
I don't have that kind of advanced technology, unfortunately. It has that classic, curvy shape, and it's not embossed. There is nothing at all on the bottom but ridges along the edge of the base. on the side of the bottle, there is a 4 7
(VR)

digdug

Reaction score
It sounds like you may have found a painted label (ACL) Coke bottle. The paint has probably faded off from being outside in the elements. As far as the 'dent' you are talking about I answered on an earlier post of yours.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_76683/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#76715
It was used for aligning the paint screens on the bottle. They were used on all ACL (Applied Color Label) bottle.

Slappy_Kincaid

Reaction score
I appreciate the knowlege. I read your reply, but I'd like to know when the dents became square, and when they stopped altogether. Also, there is no fading. like I said, it looks brand new. it says return for refund, coca cola, trade-mark(r) 6 1/2 fl oz on one side and "money back bottle, coke Tade-mark(r) 6 1/2 fl oz" on the other.

digdug

Reaction score
Well- as far as the shape of the dent, I think it was different from the glass company that made them. I've seen ones that poke out, to half circle indented, square, etc. As far as I know there isn't a way to determine a year by the dent. I know Coca-Cola started using ACL bottles in 1955, so that would be the first one on a Coke bottle.
The 6 1/2 bottle you found sounds like a newer one from the 1980's. They stopped placing the City/State on them. I think they also began to make them in Mexico.

Slappy_Kincaid

Reaction score
I thought it was modern. I have another one, but it's embossed. Same shape, same glass, size. It's from the 50s or sixties. It's from Emporia, VA. Can anyone tell me about the coke bottling in Emporia, Va?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles