Trying to date an ACL Brownie Club soda bottle (Providence, RI).

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FreeBirdTim

Reaction score
Found an ACL Brownie Club (Providence, RI) soda bottle today at a 1940's dump. Haven't cleaned it up yet, but I was hoping someone could date it for me. Appears to be an 8 ounce bottle. Bottom has the number 1568 on it, as well the letter "C" in a square. Can't seem to find that glass makers mark with an online search, so that was a dead end. Bottle has an art deco look to it.

It's in rough shape with a chip in the lip and heavy rust stains on the label, but I'm hoping to clean it up enough to display it on my shelf. Any guesses as to how old it is would be appreciated.

zebra brownie.png

hemihampton

Reaction score
That's a Brownie Club from late 1930's. a rare Bottle. If you clean it let it sit & dry out for a month first. if you try to clean a freshly dug bottle with wet fresh dirt/mud on it good chance you'll remove/wipe off the painted label. let it sit & dry out a month before gently trying to clean. LEON.

FreeBirdTim

Reaction score
Too late! Already cleaned it up a little. Didn't do any harm, but the rust stains still remain. Only have my GoPro right now for pics, but it's better than nothing. I'll try to take better pics tomorrow. And I won't try to clean it any more tonight. Probably a lost cause anyway.

P.S. Thanks for your help dating the bottle. I had a feeling it was fairly old, since it was a good three feet down in the dump.

brownie 1.JPG
brownie 2.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've cleaned rougher looking Bottles. Any old rusty dented Beer Cans in that Dump? LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Look for flat tops with one big opener hole. Those are usually older from mid 1935 to early 40's. after WW11 & around 1947 with the return of Beer Cans after the War, the opener holes will usually be 2 small holes. As seen in pic below. I'd be interested in rough rusty dented cans that are rare & not common. LEON.

LeibmannsBudWeiseropenings.JPG

SODABOB

Reaction score
FreeBird

That's a [G] box for the Glenshaw Glass Co. and the 1568 is a style code. Use either a magnifying glass or a loupe and look for some super-small letters and/or numbers embossed on the bulge below the lip. It should have them. The letters are a date code. See the Royal Crown Cola thread I started this morning for more information.

Bob

FreeBirdTim

Reaction score
Bob, wow you really know your stuff! There's the number "57" on one side of the bulge and the letter "O" on the other side. That would make my bottle from 1943, correct?

FreeBirdTim

Reaction score
Leon, I will keep an eye out for any salvageable cans. For some reason, this dump was great for preserving ACL labels, but really rough on anything metal! I've found quite a few flat top cans, bicycle seats, wrenches, large pulleys and many other metal objects, but all are really toasted. Very frustrating! Lol!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen