molded screw lid...???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey friends....

I was browsing through one of my favorite antique stores here in town and I spied this strange looking bottle/jar(?)..looked like an ink bottle about the same size as the familier screw lid kind you remember back in the 50's and 60's (if you're old enough to remember the 50's and 60's)..anyway..what caught my attention was the lid screws appeared to be attached to the jar, I could see "flashing" that had run down the side of the jar a little ways, but it had screw threads..the unusual part was the screws were all misshappen and the top has sagged in in a few places..like they had screwed the lid on while the "top" was still slightly molten and it sagged and "ran"...??? Has anyone seen anything like this before? Was this a usual practice to let the lid "cut" it's own threads by screwing it on while the glass was still liquidy..??? I almost bought it but it was a little out of my price range and I had already spent my allowance for the month and besides my wife made me a deal..she said if I didn't buy any more bottles for awhile she would let me live...and I thought that was a pretty good deal[:D].

Thanks for any help on this one...

Keep on browsing the shops...

The Doc...[X(]

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Ahh...Maybe it was in a fire, or maybe it's just a manufacturing defect. If I ever get married, my wife better like my bottles or else!!!

PS You should just buy them anyway lol[:D][;)]

medbottle

Reaction score
Hello. Your bottle sounds like it was melted, what with the sagging and all. The "applied screw-top" seems to occur on many 1890 to 19-teens whiskies, especially those from the West. All of these that I've seen had ground lips. I've also seen one type of mineral water that has an applied screw-top that wasn't ground, but I can't remember the name. Oh yeah, some cosmetic/perfume bottles also have this feature, but the screwthreads were for a secondary decorative top, not the primary glass stopper or cork.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi dr j and medbottle, i have a small blue philllips magnesia tablets bottle that the screw top appears to be disformed or melted. dosn't apear to have been in a fire, very clean. hope it shows in the pic. makes it diff. rhona

Sq48259.jpg

Attachments

• Sq48259.jpg
    Sq48259.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 80

medbottle

Reaction score
Hey Rhona. That's a strange one all right. Looks like they didn't have enough glass in the gather to complete the bottle. Maybe a big air bubble at just the right (wrong?) time. I'm surprized it made it out of the factory instead of being broken into cullet.

diginit

Reaction score
Hi Doc!
I've seen these before. A brass threaded cap is applied to the glass, Thus creating strong metal threads. A brass cap would then be screwed on, sealing the bottle.
A brass cap ink bottle would be nice. I think a few colones and perfumes used it too. not sure of the year.
That is; If I understood your post correctly. If the threads on your bottle are glass, then it was probably just melted. I've seen quite a few of those. Think you could sneak your camera into the store?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS