More Bottles from the River

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
After three visits to my productive river site, the bottles were starting to peter out. But, luck was with me. The workers finished removing the old dam, and took out the last temporary one. This lowered the water an additional foot or more, exposing even more goodies!
At first I only got some BIM foods and other plain bottles that just passed the take home test. I found a nice Koca-Nola soda which was sadly cracked in half (somehow it is still in one piece). I managed to dig down in a little crevice and found a 12-sided bottle which I expected to be a common Dr. Hayne's Balsam, but after washing if off saw that it was pontiled! Only my second dug pontil. I also found a nice ruby red glass, a yellow lamp globe, and a very cool milk glass (blue and white) tile of sorts. It had the English patent mark on the bottom (like those seen on Durkee bottles). My favorite of the day was one I missed before. I went to a spot I searched before, and under a flat rock I found a shoe! A glass one, to be precise. It was even embossed "Phalon & Sons NY" in a shield. An embossed figural cosmetic bottle? That and the pontil definitely made the day worth it.

5013222898_805c11ef76_z.jpg

5012618857_0430e54a1f.jpg

Closer shot of Koca-Nola, pontil, and figural shoe.
5012619141_65dc000646_z.jpg

Ah, the story isn't over! The next weekend I came back, resolved to clean out the site thoroughly. After some lackluster digging that produced a Moxie and some Narragansett beers, I decided to trek upriver. I had been eyeing this rapid-ish looking spot in the distance. I almost didn't make it. I got stuck in mud approaching my waist (luckily I had hip waders) for a moment. After escaping the mud, I quickly found the green wine(?) and a slick med. I continued upriver until I came to a slight bend covered with rocks and glass. I quickly pulled out a strange looking slick, then spotted a local soda in the water. It was an unlisted Westerly soda with an embossed flag on it. Next to it was the best find, a J.H. Brangahan Pawtucket, RI whiskey half pint. Both bottles were in very good condition.
A final dust off of my original site produced a J.S. Hazard Westerly squat and a decent looking pitcher.

5012618959_471c787af5_z.jpg

logueb

Reaction score
Great finds RI. Just wondering if that blue and white thing was one of those pot holder trivets that you place hot dishes on. Just a guess though. Sorry about the Koca Nola, I,ve only found the bottom half before. I read somewhere that true ruby glass is made with gold in the glass batch to give the red color. Good Luck on the next outing and hope there are more waiting for you to pick up. So you were just wading with hip boots and not diving? Buster.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Taylor,...Great bottles and I love the tile and the yellow globe,...Also awesome that you turned up a pontil!..Very cool story about the dam repair/construction, and recognizing the potential for bottles there....I'm glad it turned out to be a good spot.
m6.gif

garylee513

Reaction score
AWESOME! it gets me all amped up to see those finds, cool thanks

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky